Upstate VT

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Upstate VT

Post by EZSide »

I'm going to be at Stowe for a little bit - PM me if you have any ideas for just a little getaway non-technical snow / ice route in the area. Thanks!

- Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Upstate VT

Post by d_baker »

Mt Mansfield or Camels Hump.
I've done Camels Hump in the fall and winter, and it's a great outing! However it's been like 20 years! Cool mountain though!
Did Mansfield in the fall as well, popular mountain and it's the highest in the state.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Good options. There are several depending on what you are looking for and how far you are willing to drive. IMHO Mansfield routes are more interesting from the west side in good weather (Sunset ridge and/or Maple ridge). On the Stowe side you are hiking next to the ski area. Camel's hump has no development on it, although is very popular. It also has several route options from either the west or east side. I like loop routes. Most trails will be broken if there have been no major storms since the last weekend. Immediately out of the Stowe valley Mt Hunger and Stowe Pinnacle are options as well. You may want to stop by one of the local ski shops or the Green Mountain Club headquarters in Waterbury for maps and more info. Snow shoes recommended but many people hike without then relying on the hard packed trails. Have fun and welcome to New England.
Best Regards
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

d_baker wrote:Mt Mansfield or Camels Hump.
+1 on both of these.

I did Mansfield this summer. There are multiple routes (as noted by jrbren vt). Take advantage of the Green Mountain Club as noted and you'll have some great resources for planning.

Don't forget to partake of some Heady Topper IPA while you're up there. Nectar of the Gods!
EZSide
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

Thanks - I wasn't getting all that excited for the eastbound trip - but now I'll make room for the gear!

- Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Highly second Camels Hump...if you have a rare clear day up there, the views are beyond breathtaking! Clear to Mt. Wash and the Dacks. I recall coming in from the east, and from the north for the final summit assault; plenty of rime ice, so some sort of traction (microspikes at a bare minimum!) would be highly desired, and probably necessary. The summit's above treeline, so be able to cover any exposed skin, of course.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

My favorite way to do Mansfield is from the trailhead at the end of stevensville road and ascend maple ridge...because this way allows you to do the whole ridge along Mansfield from the forehead,nose,and chin which is a fantastic new england ridge run..and its more vertical and mileage ;)

Can't go wrong with camels hump either as mentioned. And ya won't regret either of them.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

This is no knock against Vermont (I grew up in Burlington) but if you have the means to travel 1.5 hours, I would give the Adirondacks in New York a look.

If you stick to Vermont, do Camels Hump via the Forest City trail, which connects to the Long Trail for a nice bouldering summit climb, with excellent views most of the way up.
EZSide
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

Thanks to everyone for the input. I spent the early morning on the Long Trail from Stowe resort - from TH to where it comes out on Nose Dive - and beyond - enough to (remind me I need to :) ) make room for pancakes. Early enough to avoid the snowboard traffic and weather. Without the input I'd probably just slept in... should I be on the 'planning comittee' someday I'll leave room for more than a few hours. Its a nice area - feels like WI (in the trees). Thanks again!

- Bill

P.S. Snowshoes required to venture off of Nose Dive and continue to the upper ridge - there was not a distinguishable boot pack (that I could locate) in this high traffic area.