Wheeler Peak in New Mexico on May 17th

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jeffmpls
14ers: 58 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (2)

Wheeler Peak in New Mexico on May 17th

Post by jeffmpls »

Does anyone have information on the amount on snow we can expect hiking Mt. Wheeler on May 17th. We'll be hiking the 'Bull of the Woods Trail', and we're coming out from Minneapolis so I don't have any gauge on the amount snow remaining.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wheeler Peak in New Mexico on May 17th

Post by sigepnader »

This may help a little.

http://www.skitaos.org/webcams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was there this time last year and it was still very snow covered up on the hills. Packed on the trail but the further I got it was about ankle deep.

Have you thought about doing the Williams Lake route instead? A lot quicker!
jeffmpls
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffmpls »

I considered the Williams Lake route, but I'm bringing my girlfriend who isn't experienced, so that's why I chose BWT instead of WLR. The scree sounded a little cumbersome on WLT, but if it isn't too bad maybe we should do that. What's your take sigepnader?

Thanks for webcam @ Taos, that should help.

Jeff
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Here are my thoughts.

Bull of the Woods will be 15 miles round trip in possible snow.

Williams will be approximately 7 round trip in snow. I did Williams last year with gaiters/poles and we were fine. Once you get to the turn off by the lake you will have 2000 ft of elevation left. The scree should be covered with some snow. Are you staying in Taos? If so, stop by Taos Mountain Outfitters for a map and maybe some info.

Also, off subject...Guadalajara Grill...best tacos ever.
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

To tag on to this, the Williams Lake route was improved a few years ago and isn't really a scree fest any more. It was in excellent shape when I did it in 2013 but that was in summer. That being said, Bull of the Woods is the more scenic route but it is a long day that does involve some dropping and regaining altitude.
jeffmpls
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffmpls »

Excellent beta on the trail, and food in Taos, I appreciate your insights Dave & sigenadr. Williams Lake does sounds like the better option.

Jeff
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Definitely check out the Historic Taos Inn for some live music too !
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Since I live in Santa Fe, I've climbed Wheeler a bunch. Most recently a month or so ago. Bull of the Woods would be harder than the Williams Lake route. There are several sections on BOW that probably will be holding a fair amount of snow. As said, the new trail helps make the Williams Lake route very straight forward. I would expect some boot packed trail, snow and a fair amount of ice though. Bring spikes. If you feel up to it continue southwest on the ridge over to Simpson and Old Mike peaks.

I second hitting the Adobe Bar in the Taos Inn after the climb. Its a world class dive bar with pretty good food!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

jeffmpls wrote:my girlfriend isn't experienced
I'm not trying to scare anyone off, but make sure she is mentally prepared for the steep slope from Williams Lake to the summit. With snow, it requires a lot of effort and 2 poles each may help a lot.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

Weather and snowpack around Taos are really hard to predict in May. When I graduated from Taos High School in 1981 my outdoor graduation ceremony was overwhelmed by a snow storm in early June. You will most likely be fine as Taos area weather is super stable. My vote would be for Williams Lake. The route has been "improved" so much that it's a lark. Bull of the woods is more scenic, but much more work, particularly on snow.

Have fun,

G
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

desertdog wrote:....... As said, the new trail helps make the Williams Lake route very straight forward. I would expect some boot packed trail, snow and a fair amount of ice though.
I did this trail the first week of June last year. There were occasional snow drifts (highly consolidated) but the trail was 90% clear. I did not make the summit as this was a recovery hike from some knee work but I could see all the way up and above tree line it was clear. I can testify that the new trail is straight forward.

Every year is different as noted by Gabriel but you stand a good chance. As desertdog implied I'd bring spikes (and poles if you use them) just in case.

If not mentioned previously Bella's is a good place for a relaxing evening. Prices are decent, margs are good and the location and patio great.
jeffmpls
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffmpls »

I want to thank all of you for your valuable insights and information on Wheeler, I greatly appreciate it.

Jeff