Yosemite Questions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Yosemite Questions

Post by anthony156 »

Hey all,

I went to Yosemite last year and had a blast. Gonna go this year, I've done the hikes from Yosemite Valley, missed the crowds and did Half Dome. This year I am going with my family and this will be the route through Tuolomene Meadows:

Day 1 Cathedral Lakes TH to Sunrise High Sierra Camp
Day 2 Sunrise to Little Yosemite Valley
Day 3 LYV to Half Dome and back to Curry Village.

My questions:
1) Does anyone have a report from doing this route?
2) Does anyone know a resource on finding lakes/rivers that are good to drink water from. I hate to be unprepared, but also hate carrying excessive water.
3) Has anyone done Clouds Rest as part of this hike?

Anthony
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Yosemite Questions

Post by peter303 »

The Cloulds Rest trail forks off the Half Dome Trail from Little Yosemite Velley. It's a fine hike, but makes for a long day if you do it together with Half Dome. I've hiked a third alternative- Tioga Rod to Half Dome with a Clouds Rest detour one of the ways.

P.S. I 've had some of my most exciting brown bear encounters camping in LYV. One time a bear strolled in during dinner after dark and swiped food from the dinner rock. Another night I was sleeping open under the stars and the furry friends walked thru camp several times. I didn't know my heart could beat so fast. I sometime smell brown bears before actually sighting them. They smell bad like garbage dumps, where they've likely been.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

You should try Clouds Rest on your day 2.
Here is a report of the trip from the opposite direction.

http://socalhiker.net/thru-hiking-the-j ... rise-camp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whatever you do,
Have Fun
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Post by anthony156 »

Cool! Thanks for the trip report and bear advice! At this point I'm thinking of Clouds Rest day 2 then hiking to LYV. Finding info on other hikes outside Colorado is tough compared to the 14ers site. Those bears are crazy I had them run through the site last year being chased by rangers shooting rubber pellets.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

The national geographic topo/trail map #206 is the one you want. If you don't have it, I can send a photo of the trail for planning purposes (mileage etc), though I'd buy the real thing once you go for the hike.

Use these for info and trip reports:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Been all over Yose

Taft Point is great short day hike.

North Dome better views than half dome

Do Mt Hiffman and Cathedral

Twenty Lakes Basin, Gardisky Lake and Tioga Peak, Mt Conness
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I just reread the Half Dome permits. 225 per day online (usuually go the first day they are available) and 50 walkups.
Half Dome has an interesting class 3 piece with installed cables.
A few years back after many traffic jams and a couple deaths, they added a permit system for the summer.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

steelfrog wrote:Been all over Yose

Taft Point is great short day hike.

North Dome better views than half dome

Do Mt Hiffman and Cathedral

Twenty Lakes Basin, Gardisky Lake and Tioga Peak, Mt Conness

Total +1. These are all FANTASTIC Water could be an issue due to the drought. Last time we were there, just the heavy streams you see on any map had water, most other streams and creeks were either extremely shallow or not flowing at all. If you like off the trail stuff, Hike the alpine area of Yosemite. Great views everywhere.
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Post by anthony156 »

Excellent alternative hikes and route advice and forum links! I just bought the Nat Geo 206 topo map it seems really helpful. The permit system is crazy, the last two times up the cables have been before sunrise and I've been walking down by the time the circus folk head up. I'm excited for Tuolomene but there is so much park to see. I'll let you all know how many bears end up stealing picnic baskets.
― Hunter S. Thompson