Wyoming/Montana--Titcomb, Tetons, Granite

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Apex
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wyoming/Montana--Titcomb, Tetons, Granite

Post by Apex »

Hey Steel - How was your trip? Have some beta on those climbs...specifically Granite and the SW couloir. :-D
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Best laid plans.

So I didn't know any of these ranges. I got so excited about Titcomb and Wind Rivers that I changed the budgeted time to 4 days WR and 2 days Beartooths. In retrospect, that was a mistake.

Wind Rivers: very nice of course but mui mossies and rain all but one day. A lot. Did make it to Titcomb and up a west side mountain but clouds made views sucky for the most part

Beartooths--we ended up tromping around on Beartooth plateau and Hellroaring Plateau. I fell in love! A weeklong trip to the Beartooths is in the future for sure

Tetons--excellent trails! Did the 30 mile Death Valley to Alaska Basin, up Static Pesk hike in 2 days. Astounding views and flowers. Will be back to the Tetons!

Also did some hiking in the Uinta (remind me of Truchas in NM) and a swing through Yellowstone, and over Beartooth Highway.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

steelfrog,

I just came out of the Winds with a trip into the Titcomb Basin, on over the pass to get the state highpoint. For some recent beta...I put up a TR that may be helpful:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Awesome TR and great weather!

We were in the WRs July 17-20. Mui rain. By the time of your Gannett climb we were in the Tetons

We had some friends who attempted Gannett on I think July 19 and got full blizzard in Bonney pass. We had other friends who got blizzard in Lester pass on the 18th, IIRC
flintstoner
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flintstoner »

I did Granite Peak via Sky Tops Lakes (SW Couloir) on 29 Jul 2015. Conditions were good, crampons or other traction weren''t needed nor was an ice ax. Wearing a helmet is advised though due to the loose rocks in the SW Couloir. There are two ropes anchored in the couloir. The lower rope is showing signs of wear and needs replacing. There was a light coating of ice present when I ascended too given the early morning hours. Kicking off rocks while in the couloir can be an issue if others are present. Its difficult not to kick off something, just too much loose rock in a steep narrow chute. A cairn marks the location of the beginning of the SW Couloir which isn't noticeable due to steep rock.

Trip can easily be done in two days if weather is good, one day to hike in and a second day to summit and hike out. Trail starts at Lady of the Lakes in Lulu Pass but ends at Lone Elk Lake. From there its route finding with assistance from cairns. Lots of rock hopping. Trail signs are almost non-existent with the exception of Lady of the Lakes routing in the first two miles. Expect to cross streams, I was able to hop rocks or use logs in all cases without having to resort to water shoes. Bugs weren't bad.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Also did some hiking in the Uinta
Where did you end up going in the Uintas?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Bald and Hayden
Apex
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Apex »

flintstoner wrote:I did Granite Peak via Sky Tops Lakes (SW Couloir) on 29 Jul 2015. Conditions were good, crampons or other traction weren''t needed nor was an ice ax. Wearing a helmet is advised though due to the loose rocks in the SW Couloir. There are two ropes anchored in the couloir. The lower rope is showing signs of wear and needs replacing. There was a light coating of ice present when I ascended too given the early morning hours. Kicking off rocks while in the couloir can be an issue if others are present. Its difficult not to kick off something, just too much loose rock in a steep narrow chute. A cairn marks the location of the beginning of the SW Couloir which isn't noticeable due to steep rock.

Trip can easily be done in two days if weather is good, one day to hike in and a second day to summit and hike out. Trail starts at Lady of the Lakes in Lulu Pass but ends at Lone Elk Lake. From there its route finding with assistance from cairns. Lots of rock hopping. Trail signs are almost non-existent with the exception of Lady of the Lakes routing in the first two miles. Expect to cross streams, I was able to hop rocks or use logs in all cases without having to resort to water shoes. Bugs weren't bad.

Excellent info. Thanks mate! I'll leave the ice ax and spikes behind.