Mount Shasta

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Mount Shasta

Post by nyker »

climbed Mt Shasta over the weekend. I'll post a trip report later, but if anyone is heading up there soon and wants some beta, let me know or post questions.

Rob
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Mount Shasta

Post by Rick Canter »

Shasta! An awesome Cascade. Congratulations on the climb. I look forward to the TR. Rick
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Hi Rob,

Looks like you are branching out since finishing.

Shasta is on my list, but i'll probably wait till next year when there's more snow. I'll definitely send you an email with questions. One question I had now was on permits - did you have to get one far in advance?

We still have two spots for our Ecuador trip in Nov. / Dec. open. If you're interested let me know.

Have a good summer.

Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hey Richard. How are you?

Good Question. For Permits, I just filled them out at the trailhead that day of climbing. You need two, a Wilderness permit (free) and Summit permit ($25). You then keep a copy on yourself. Note that a Climbing Ranger DID check me and ask to see my permits the next day (same day actually, just FELT like next day since the climb was so long). I think the Summit Permit is good for three days, assuming most people camp.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

We climbed Mt Shasta in June and were also checked by a Ranger at Lake Helen. I also would recommend to bring your own wag bags. The ones the Forest Service hands out, brown paper bags with sawdust, don't hold up very well. :faint:

Congrats on the climb, Rob. I look forward to your trip report and will maybe even finish the one I'm supposed to be writing. :-"
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

desertdog wrote:One question I had now was on permits - did you have to get one far in advance?
I climbed Mount Shasta from the north side (Hotlam Bolam Glaciers) in 2011 and unless something has changed, we didn't have to do anything in advance and were able to self-issue our own permits from the payment box at the trailhead. I think the cost was $20 back then but that may have changed.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Shasta Locales
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shasta Locales »

nyker wrote:Hey Richard. How are you?

Good Question. For Permits, I just filled them out at the trailhead that day of climbing. You need two, a Wilderness permit (free) and Summit permit ($25). You then keep a copy on yourself. Note that a Climbing Ranger DID check me and ask to see my permits the next day (same day actually, just FELT like next day since the climb was so long). I think the Summit Permit is good for three days, assuming most people camp.
Indeed. 3-day permits can be self-issued at any of the trailheads.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Shasta Locales wrote:
nyker wrote:Hey Richard. How are you?

Indeed. 3-day permits can be self-issued at any of the trailheads.
Shasta Locales...Very appropriate user name!
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

desertdog wrote:Hi Rob,

Looks like you are branching out since finishing.

Shasta is on my list, but i'll probably wait till next year when there's more snow. I'll definitely send you an email with questions. One question I had now was on permits - did you have to get one far in advance?

We still have two spots for our Ecuador trip in Nov. / Dec. open. If you're interested let me know.

Have a good summer.

Richard
Unless you want a full snowclimb from the cabin or lower, there is still plenty of snow to be climbing on snow from about just under 10,000ft and early in the morning it was firm for great crampon traction. Zero postholing on the entire descent, which was great.

There are bare patches and lake Helen is where snow coverage starts in earnest on the AG route, but it's not a bad approach from the TH to 10k. Misery Hill as usual is bare, but the rest is snow, including the long slopes from the typical camp spots. The sulphur vents were pretty active higher up and made breathing difficult over that short stretch.