Mt Whitney current conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
codyjh1991
14ers: 11  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt Whitney current conditions

Post by codyjh1991 »

Hey everyone,
I'm still about 3 weeks out from climbing Whitney but won't have internet access until then, I know it's a long shot but I wanted to see if anyone has been up there in the last few days and could shed some light on conditions - specifically, could anyone report on snow/ice and speculate on whether or not it's likely to be icy still within the next few weeks. I'm backpacking the JMT and not bringing spikes or an ice ax so I was trying to gauge our chances of being able to summit (based on snow/ice presence, at least)

Thanks ya'll
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt Whitney current conditions

Post by jrbren_vt »

I was there a few years ago and there was no snow or ice issues, so you should be fine. Seriously that answer is not worth much less then any other answer you would get now. That sounds like a great trip. Where are you picking up the JMT from ? I picked it up at Onion Valley, I think the pass to connect to the JMT was Kearsarge if I remember correctly, and joined some friends who who doing the whole thing from Yosemite to Whitney Portal. Whitney is not the highlight of that trip. The hardest day for me was Forester Pass, We did have to climb a large snow field on that. Doable without snow equipment. Plus I was still acclimatizing. By the time we got to Whitney my blood was thicker & it was just a long up hill walk. Our biggest worry for Whitney was possible t-storms in the forecast. There was a good one the day before, but we had already set up camp, so no harm. The evening/morning of the climb the weather was excellent. As was the day for the descent. Stunning scenery that whole week. Have a great time, I will live vicariously though you.
Best Regards
codyjh1991
14ers: 11  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by codyjh1991 »

Thanks for the info. I know there's no real useful way to get that info too far ahead of time but I've never even been to California and I've been climbing mountains here in Colorado which range from summer conditions to still needing snow and ice gear so I'm just trying to feel out what to expect. We're doing the trail from Yosemite to Whitney Portal starting in a couple of days, I'm really excited to see that whole region. Thank you!
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

If you have not already seen it and get Netflix, check out "Mile ... Mile and a half", I enjoyed it. Before or after your trip as time permits. Have fun !
Best Regards
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

You will be fine.
Mt Whitney is an old stomping ground of mine.
Mid August is as good as it gets and you should see no ice.
Hail or snow is quite possible but it should not linger.
You might even consider an overnight on the summit.
I have done so many times.
California weather is usually more stable and predictable than CO.
August 12th peak of the Perseids.
A good night for Whitney.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

You'll be fine sans gear on that route. We're in the Sierra now in all its gray glory. Very limited snow.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
cpb145
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cpb145 »

I was up there less than 2 weeks ago. No substantial snow/ice concerns at all. Tiny amounts here and there in chutes, but no need for any specialized gear.
-Chris
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Sounds like you're doing the standard trail, you might encounter some snow patches here and there but should be fine but don't be surprised if you do get some white stuff. Here's a pic from July 11 after summiting via East Buttess.

Have fun.

https://flic.kr/p/w6K4Vv
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

My son, my dad, and I climbed Whitney on July 3. Because of the drought, we only had to step in snow once (one step). It should be long gone by now.

This year has been a weird one in the Sierra. Usually, the Sierra gets a lot of winter snow, but little summer rain. This year they didn't get much snow in winter, but they have had lots of summer rain. My son and daughter just got back from hiking the John Muir Trail. It rained every day except for the last two.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MountainMouse
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainMouse »

I just finished the JMT. Started the trail northbound ( Whitney ) there was absolutely no snow and the conditions were perfect. Mountain weather can be unpredictable of course but I don't see that any snow will be present. Let me know if you have any questions about the JMT in general. Have fun
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Good luck on your trip! Never say never, but I'd say there is a very low probability you'll need crampons and ice axe then, especially on the Main Trail, much of which is exposed to sun to melt it off.

As others mentioned, the area is very dry. I just got back from a bit further up North on Shasta where there is more moisture, but the Sierras have had a low snow year. With that said, I've been on Whitney in Aug/September in years past when 6" of snow fell - but given such conditions, an axe or crampons would not have been much use in the newly fallen loose snow.
Last edited by nyker on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holliewd
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Holliewd »

I climbed Whitney first week of June. Got to the middle of the switchbacks and had to turn around because I didn't listen to everyone that told me to bring crampons. I don't care what time of year, I'll take crampons next time. First mtn I've ever bailed on.
"I'd rather be sitting on my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"