Teton walk ups

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Teton walk ups

Post by youngk2844 »

A couple thoughts on Table Mountain. There are two trails you can take that merge about a mile below the summit, The Face trail and Huckleberry Trail. Huckleberry is longer by 4 miles RT but not as steep as the Face. Most hikers I know like to go up the Face and down Huckleberry. The Face has a lot of lose, rolly rock making it somewhat hazardous, especially going down. Also, be bear aware and prepared. Bears like huckleberries and are common in that area.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

All solid suggestions. I'll try not to LOJ all the quads around Jackson, but sounds like Blacktail Butte, Static, Table, Rendezvous and Glory all sound like solid options (Buck will be saved for a ski). I might even gape around Snow King - the top of the resort is a ranked 8er!
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

table mountain and/or hurricane pass. You can climb table mountain from hurricane too if you don't mind a few hundred feet of crappy scree. I've done it on my teton traverse - http://www.trailgroove.com/issue12.html?autoflip=83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mtngrlmb
14ers: 12 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngrlmb »

Jackson Peak is a fun hike, it maybe easier than what you are looking for but it is one of my favorites. Start at the Goodwin Lake Trail head. It is on the Gros Ventre side of the valley (East). Amazing views of the Tetons from the summit. Bonus, mostly just locals on the trail, the tourists are all in the park. Trail write up here http://www.themountaingoat.net/?p=362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gzrrnnr
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

IMHO, some of the best views of the high peaks are from the easy low ridges above Surprise and Amphitheatre Lakes. It is a fairly strenuous ten mile hike, but the views are incredible. Start early to minimize the crowd.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

The Enclosure Peak out of Lupine. About 14 miles rt
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

Another option is Taylor Mountain off of Teton Pass. It is south of the park and the views are not as impressive as Table or Disappointment but it is an easier hike than both of those.

http://www.summitpost.org/taylor-mountain/264489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess a rest day is relative to what is normal to you. If 7k elevation gain is normal, than I think Disappointment Peak is a great hike with beautiful scenery and a few fun opportunities to get some scrambling in.

My wife and I did Taylor first to loosen up the legs and then Disappointment the following day. Have fun!
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
LIV
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (21)

Post by LIV »

Symmetry Spire - there is a Class 3 route that provides completely amazing views.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

mtngrlmb wrote:Jackson Peak is a fun hike, it maybe easier than what you are looking for but it is one of my favorites. Start at the Goodwin Lake Trail head. It is on the Gros Ventre side of the valley (East). Amazing views of the Tetons from the summit. Bonus, mostly just locals on the trail, the tourists are all in the park. Trail write up here http://www.themountaingoat.net/?p=362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree, Jackson is fun too, as well as the Sleeping Indian across the valley, but finding TH's to these might be a little trickier unless you know the area or have someone along that does.