Teton walk ups

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Teton walk ups

Post by lordhelmut »

Does anyone have good suggestions for peaks/summits in the Tetons/Jackson vicinity that are good for a rest day leg stretcher? I'm talking brainless routes to semi-interesting summits with solid views - a pano of the Teton Range would be a huge plus. Or even a roadshot off Teton Pass or even a hike with an overlook with the best panoramic view of the Tetons. Any of that will do. Thanks.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Teton walk ups

Post by jbchalk »

Miller - hike up Blacktail Butte. Go north on 26 through the Hole and pass the left turn to go to Moose and the Park. Just 1/8 mile or so past that turnoff, enter the small parking area on the right at the base of Blacktail Butte. Decent rock climbing on the wall there too. But, basically you can hike up past the wall as far as you want up the Butte through woods and open meadows. Not really much of a trail that I can remember, but maybe faint ones here and there. About 400' up from the parking I remember a nice meadow with unobstructed panorama views of the Tetons. Gorgeous. I never went all the way south to the 7,688' Blacktail Butte summit, but am thinking you could go as far as you wanted. Seems like that 7,410' sub-summit would have nice views and not nearly as far as the main summit.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Mt Glory is a nice easy hike that starts from the top of Teton Pass. Doesn't give you a panorama of the Tetons but it does offer nice views.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-glory/267521
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

Disappointment Peak. It's an easy to follow hike on a trail, and has tremendous, in your face views of the Grand. However, it does have some mileage/elevation gain, so it may be too much for a rest day.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Table Mt from the west is a good one. Nice perspective on the Park that you normally wouldn't see from the east side.

Static Peak is another good and easy one.

Haven't been back there in ages. Would be great to hit them again! Have fun! :-D
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Sounds good fellas - thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know what the permit system is with the Grand these days? If you get a walk-in that morning, can you pack in that afternoon or do you need to wait a day?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

lordhelmut wrote:If you get a walk-in that morning, can you pack in that afternoon or do you need to wait a day?
You can pack in that afternoon.

BTW, it isn't advertised on their site but, we were able to reserve and pay for a permit a day ahead (within 24 hours of your overnight date) by calling the office and then picking up the permit the day we hiked in. Not sure if they still do this, but it beats the hell out of having to get there at the ass-crack and hoping that the area you want still has permits left.
Make wilderness less accessible.
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

I'll second Static Peak from Death Canyon. Though particularly ominous sounding, it looks like a fun, casual stroll (although fairly long). I hiked a decent portion of it when I was up there in June and would like to go back to finish it off.

http://www.summitpost.org/static-peak/583118
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

If you're lucky you may be able to get a same-day backcountry camping permit, but they start releasing them to walk-ins the morning of the day before and permits for popular sites are often gone by mid-afternoon.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

A "rest day" in the Tetons is anything with less than 5000' of vertical :)
powhound wrote:Disappointment Peak. It's an easy to follow hike on a trail, and has tremendous, in your face views of the Grand.
It's Class 1 NPS-standard to the lake, but has a Class 4 move right above it, and the last 100 feet is a solid scramble.

Static Peak is OK, but you'll wish you were on the summit of nearby Buck instead. Buck is a very enjoyable day, but long. Also for Static you have some 400' to regain at the end of the day.
MtnHub wrote:Table Mt from the west is a good one. Nice perspective on the Park that you normally wouldn't see from the east side.
I recommend Table as well, although the first mile or so is rather steep.

The entrance gates should be unmanned before 7 or so, so if you go in early enough you don't pay. The west side has no gate, and I'm pretty sure you can car camp at the TH or somewhere nearby.

I think there's some truly easy stuff to the east of Jackson.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

I agree with the Table Mountain recommendation. I've climbed it several times. The view is always amazing from the top.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

One really cool and scenic hike you can do is to start in Teton Village, take the Valley Trail to Garnet Canyon, then hike up Garnet Canyon and eventually take a trail that loops to the south and ascends the backside of Rendezvous Mtn to the top of the ski area, then ride the tram down for free - 13 miles and 4k elevation gain. Otherwise, +1 to the suggestions on Mt. Glory, Static Peak, and especially Table Mtn. All great hikes.