Washington in October--Suggestions?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Washington in October--Suggestions?

Post by steelfrog »

Ok. Headed to Washington again Oct 1-5. Reasoning is two-fold: forecasters are saying that El Niño means warm and dry for NW. Second, Oct 1 means no permits required.

Also, cost is right--flight and car to Seattle is $400

Anyway, done Rainier, Tatoosh, Olympics, some Noryh Cascades.

I was thinking of Alpine Lakes/Enchantments, Mt Stuart, possibly Baker, possibly Glacier, possibly North Cascades. Really leaning toward Alpine Lakes region

Anyway, suggestions? Washington is awesome, after all...

Many thanks!
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Washington in October--Suggestions?

Post by kaiman »

I don't have any suggestions as much as a word of warning. I was on Adams, Hood, and Mount Saint Helens in early July and Washington had a very bad snow year year last winter. Most of the glacier routes looked like they were melted out and the crevasses wide open. So you might consider sticking to the rock routes and off the glaciers because unless they get some significant snow between now and October, it will probably crevasse city on Baker and Glacier by then.

You might also try cascadeclimbers.com for suggestions. There are lots of folks on that site that climb almost exclusively in the Enchantments, North Cascades, and Alpine Lakes areas so they'll probably have some good suggestions.

My two cents,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks Kai. Good idea. I have a cascadeclimbers account so I'll ask there as well.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

There's plenty of good scrambles in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness ... Cashmere Mountain and Dragontail Peak are both easy class 3. Unfortunately, overnight permits for the Enchantments are required until October 15, and while both of those are doable in one day, they make for a long one. I think they're both about 16 miles RT.
Black Peak off highway 20 is also another good scramble if you end up in the North Cascades. Another one that I haven't personally done, but heard good things about (it's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet) is Tomyhoi Peak.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Yep bactually was able to get a permit, surprisingly. So, good to go. Although if I want to approach Stuart or Dragontail from the south, don't need a permit
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

Yeah, Stuart would be no problem. Personally, I'd rather do that as a snow climb, but then again I live here and can do that next spring, so... :-k
If you have a permit, Colchuck Lake is actually a really nice spot to camp, and you can climb Dragontail (and also Colchuck Peak, though I haven't done that so I can't speak to its difficulty) from there. Gear note: I'd bring a helmet for Cashmere. 90% of the climb is hiking and talus hopping, but there's a small traverse below and then up some gullies that can have some loose rock right before the summit.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LadyClimber »

The standard route on Colchuck is a nice outing. Snow up the col and then class 3 maybe a move or two of 4th. If you can climb 5th class Ingalls peak is really fun climb, its on the south side of Stuart and you start from the Snoqualmie Pass side.