Shenanigans on Mt. Katahdin?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Shenanigans on Mt. Katahdin?

Post by Sean Nunn »

I believe the citations are ridiculous. Personally I don't drink, and I dislike being around people who are drinking heavily because they are usually loud and obnoxious. That obviously isn't the case here. Maybe they should change the law to "no drinking in public unless you are finishing a FKT for the Appalachian trail." Methinks that won't happen often enough to be a problem.

It all comes back to responsible use of wilderness vs. the idea that any use by man is a bad thing. Personally I am all about taking care of the environment, but it is ours to use responsibly, not a god to be worshiped from afar.

As far as not wanting an increase in visitors, again I would ask "why"? More people in the wilderness is not bad in and of itself; it can even be a good thing if that increases awareness of our need to care for the wilderness. The problem comes when the FaceBook crowd wants to go in big, loud, selfie-taking groups and leave trash everywhere, which I guess will probably happen for about a year or so after the movie debut.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6