Denali 10 feet shorter than previously thought

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Denali 10 feet shorter than previously thought

Post by Traveler »

It looks like measuring technology is improving, the mountain is now measured at 20,310 feet:
http://www.usgs.gov/blogs/features/usgs ... ghest-peak
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Denali 10 feet shorter than previously thought

Post by summit21 »

Interesting...I wonder if there are plans to do the same with the peaks in Colorado. Huron, Holy Cross, and Sunshine could be casualties with new measurements.
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

summit21 wrote:Interesting...I wonder if there are plans to do the same with the peaks in Colorado. Huron, Holy Cross, and Sunshine could be casualties with new measurements.
They'll have to pry my fourteeners out of my cold, dead hands.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

Denali remains the highest mountain in North America, the third highest mountain in the world, and is one of the world’s renowned “Seven Summits”.
from the USGS page. anyone see a mistake? I think they should have stated; the third highest of the "seven summits."
Last edited by dsunwall on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

dsunwall wrote:
Denali remains the highest mountain in North America, the third highest mountain in the world, and is one of the world’s renowned “Seven Summits”.
from the USGS page. anyone see a mistake?
:cancels trip to Kanchenjunga:
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

See what happens when you go changing the names of things?
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

I think they just looked at the list of Seven Summits, decided since it was 3rd on there, it must therefore be the 3rd highest in the world. I suppose that's a reasonable mistake if you're not obsessed with mountains and mountain lists like most of the people on this site. The writers emails are on the press release they must have already received quite a few emails point out their mistake.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

dsunwall wrote:
from the USGS page. anyone see a mistake? I think they should have stated; the third highest of the "seven summits."
I caught that too. I believe alpinenut is right. On the good side, I can now say I have climbed all of the North American peaks over 6193 meters.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
Last edited by Sean Nunn on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Traveler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

dsunwall wrote:
Good catch--I hope they are more accurate in their measurements than in their press releases!
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

Ha ha, from one of the authors of the PR:
You are correct in a battle of semantics. Perhaps a better way to phase it would have been, "Denial is the world's 3rd highest peak in terms of prominence". However, the article I co-authored was written for a more general public, and the nuance of prominence vs elevation vs topography vs etc would be mostly lost on them - and would require many more definitions.

The people of Alasaka and the climbers who have conquered Denali believe it is #3, and that was also an important factor in my decision.
Fair point about the general public but I don't think most of the general public would even read that PR :)
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

alpinenut wrote:Ha ha, from one of the authors of the PR:
You are correct in a battle of semantics. Perhaps a better way to phase it would have been, "Denial is the world's 3rd highest peak in terms of prominence". However, the article I co-authored was written for a more general public, and the nuance of prominence vs elevation vs topography vs etc would be mostly lost on them - and would require many more definitions.

The people of Alasaka and the climbers who have conquered Denali believe it is #3, and that was also an important factor in my decision.
Fair point about the general public but I don't think most of the general public would even read that PR :)
Please tell me that he actually spelled "Denali" as "Denial" in his response.
Traveler
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

alpinenut wrote:Ha ha, from one of the authors of the PR:
Denial is the world's 3rd highest peak
You mean it's not just a river in Egypt?