Hiking/Scrambling near Asheville NC

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Hiking/Scrambling near Asheville NC

Post by Kiefer »

TravelingMatt wrote:Kiefer, you'll be there during peak foliage.

I suspect you won't find my suggestions too challenging. Normally I'm there in winter, when it's just nice to have a sunny day outside.

You can do some longer days in the Smokies. One good outing is to get up to Spence Field somehow and run the AT as far east as you have time for. Another is LeConte from Newfound Gap, via the AT and Boulevard trails (about 8 miles each way). Combining this with the Alum Cave Trail and a car spot is the quintessential Smokies hike.
That was part of the plan! We'll only be out there for a few days & two of those will be spent in Hilton Head visiting a friend who owns a steakhouse (whom is also the Exec. Chef). So I'm gonna try and get the gf to do some hikes while in Asheville. Looking forward to the colours!!! :)
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

I actually just got back from a trip that included Mount Mitchell in NC. This info on Mitchell may be helpful.

In order to turn Mt. Mitchell into a "real hike" (instead of driving to the top), I parked near the campground to the Southeast of the summit. There are actually two campgrounds there (I think?): Black Mountain and Briar Bottom. When using Google maps, Google only shows Briar Bottom. The USFS calls the site Black Mountain. There is an overnight/day hiker parking lot across the river from the campground that provides access to trails to the north and the south.

From the day hike parking, Mount Mitchell is approximately 11 miles RT with 3700' of elevation gain. Link to my GPS track starting from day hike area: https://www.strava.com/activities/411854515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The trail is marked with blue blaze on the trees and goes through several types of nice forest as the elevation changes. Many people take overnight packs and stay in the Spruce forest area.

If you wanted to have a much longer day, I believe you could start from the Briar Bottom, ascend Mitchell, continue northeast along the ridge towards some other 6k peaks, descend to Carolina Hemlocks campground and hitch/run/bike stash back to the start for a big loop. Alternatively, from the day hike/Briar Bottom area, you can hike south of the road towards some other peaks and ridgelines. Many options, and a beautiful area!
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

...I created my first mile-gain day in the Smokies. Started from downtown Gatlinburg, walked up Cherokee Mtn. Rd. (almost unused at daybreak), then up trails and reached the multiple summits of Mt. LeConte, via Rainbow Falls. A 22-mile day, but if you just wanted a nice walk in the woods, uphill to Rainbow Falls is a good family hike. The "quick way" up LeConte is the Alum Falls Trail. Plenty more in the Smokies NP as well.

Oh yah, then there are the open balds of the area...their version of above timberline. The Appalachian Trail northbound from Carvers Gap (NC 261 / TN 143) over Round Bald, Jane Bald and Grassy Ridge has some fantastic treeless scenery. If you go in June, Roan High Knob has the largest known natural rhododendron field. Backpacker Magazine once dubbed Hump Mountain one of the World's finest views, coming up from US 19E hiking the AT southbound into the same area of open balds. Suggest finding an official Appalachian Trail Guidebook for NC and TN.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Two words:

LINVILLE
GORGE

While there, you will ask yourself, "how the hell is this North Carolina"? It is one of my favorite Wilderness areas, and it is spectacular. Dispersed camping for days around there. Inside the Wilderness boundaries, there are simply hundreds of breath taking camping sites nestled among rocks and right on the rim of the Gorge looking down 1,400' at the Linville River. I found a random partner on Mountain Project to lead me up a three multi pitch trad routes in the Amphitheater area a couple months ago when I was visiting my brother in Boone, and I had the time of my life. The rock there is so different than out here, and the volume/concentration/diversity of plant and animal life in that part of the Appalachians is mind boggling.

The Mountains to Sea trail that runs along part of the east rim is pretty freaking awesome. We hiked that for a mile or two to the Amphitheater turn off. That, and a loop hike up Table Rock Mountain are the only hikes I've done there, but they were spectacular. The Mountains to Sea trail running south from the Table Rock is sweet and only a few feet wide on either side.

I feel like I could spend a decade exploring that place. Pictures cannot capture the magic and beauty of the Gorge. Hope you get a chance to check it out!
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

If you wanted to drive down to Brevard, you can go to Caesars Head - I'm pretty sure there is technical climbing and a lot of hiking there. I've got a soft spot for that area of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Brevard is a great little mountain village.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

You could do the Mitchell/Craig/Big Tom/Balsam Cone and a few other peaks on the Deep Gap trail. Newfound Gap near Gatlinburg/Swain County is great for LeConte or Charlies Bunion.

Charlies Bunion I highly recommend. About 8 miles rt.

Enjoy my home state!
Lawrencebg
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lawrencebg »

doing a midnight hike in Cades Cove under the full moon is incredible.