Looking for CA 14'er hiking partners out of SoCal Area

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jaleutious
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (6)

Looking for CA 14'er hiking partners out of SoCal Area

Post by jaleutious »

Hey everyone, I'm graduating this May from GWU in DC and will be coming home for several months before I start working around August.

This June and July, I'm looking to to dayhike:

White Mountain
Mt Langley
Mt Muir
Mt Split

and maybe 3-day backpack:

Mt Williamson/Tyndall

Is anyone else on here from the southern California area interested in climbing any of these over weekends this June or July? Ideally, I'm looking for people with some 14'er experience. Feel free to check out my profile and trip reports if you're interested in seeing what I've done so far.
"I'm just trying to find, a mountain I can climb" -Julian Casablancas
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Looking for CA 14'er hiking partners out of SoCal Area

Post by peter303 »

Muir is in the same access valley as Whitney, so you need one of the challenging to obtain permits. Permit lottery opens soon:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pass ... rdb5150055
Might as well climb Whitney the same trip if you got the permit.

White Mountain has a road up most of the way. Thats more of a warm-up, acclimatization mountain perhaps done first.
jaleutious
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jaleutious »

Doing white mountain first is my plan, maybe as early as the end of May- Langley and Muir would follow after. I have already successfully climbed Mt Whitney (day hike) and also attempted Williamson last summer but got turned around from choking smoke from the fires up there. I would be totally down to give Williamson/Tyndal another shot this summer with better conditions.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

The road up white mountain is probably not open all the way in may.

Im looking at climbing Langley via Tuttle Creek in late April. If you have snow climbing experience, or at least the physical fitness to handle a big snow climb, send me a PM.
jaleutious
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jaleutious »

That sounds really cool, but I won't be back in California until mid-late May. I've just got the gym and pool here to work with in the meantime. The road to White should be clear by early June, I'll just have to keep in contact with the local Forest Service to see as to exactly when. Had it been the low-tide conditions we saw last year, I would have easily been able to do it in May- this year will probably be a different story.
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Even with low snow, the raod wasnt opened up past the patriarch grove until mid june last year.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

mtn_nut wrote:The road up white mountain is probably not open all the way in may.
Here's a photo from May 17, 2015, 4 miles from TH. Recall flooding in San Diego, a late spring storm ended up in the Sierras and White Mtn. Snow had drifted over a foot on the road at some places. I considered hiking from here to the trailhead, but good sense prevailed, 8 extra round-trip miles in nasty weather did not sound like fun.
WhiteMtn.jpg
WhiteMtn.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
PS. Thanks to Tallgrass tech support.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
jaleutious
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jaleutious »

Yikes, I got bad info- thanks for setting me straight! I guess I'll need to push off white until mid/late June then, maybe even later this year!
jaleutious
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jaleutious »

Between:

White Mountain
Mt Langley
Mt Muir
Mt Split

Which can be day-hiked earliest in the season and how early can they be done? Late June/early July this year because of snow?
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

jaleutious wrote:Between:

White Mountain
Mt Langley
Mt Muir
Mt Split

Which can be day-hiked earliest in the season and how early can they be done? Late June/early July this year because of snow?
Langleys early route is Tuttle Creek. You can access it in the winter if you want, just pay attention to avy signs.

Muirs is accessible from the standard Whitney route. I'm not 100% sure when the Whitney portal road opens, but you can always hike it from the road closure.

White can be hiked from the road closure, but it might be a very long hike.

Split can also be hiked from the road closure, if it even exists. The road to red lake th isn't very good. I've heard snow coverage makes the climb better as it covers the loose scree.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

mtn_nut wrote: Split can also be hiked from the road closure, if it even exists. The road to red lake th isn't very good. I've heard snow coverage makes the climb better as it covers the loose scree.
Agreed above on the other peaks.

For Split - We took the shorter direct road to the TH and made it in a POS rental Hyundai Tucson with rental tires. It was slow going and one person went ahead to move rocks.

In late April of a low snow year, we went up St Jean and down the standard route. The standard route was low-moderate snow. It would make a pretty reasonable day trip, provided you don't get lost on the approach (the best trail ascends up the hill from the TH for 500 ft or so before traversing the side of the valley).
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
jaleutious
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jaleutious »

So how about for standard/most popular routes? When do we expect most portions of the trails to be clear of snow/manageable to follow this year? Aside from Whitney, I understand most Ca 14'er trails are not as well-maintained so I definitely am not looking to go up any of the alternate/more difficult routes since the walk-ups on most of these are so long anyway.