Triple crown for Suicide prevention

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jgar15
14ers: 58 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (13)

Triple crown for Suicide prevention

Post by jgar15 »

I hope everyone is getting ready for another great season of climbing the 14ers! After living in Colorado for over a year I am doing something a little bigger this summer. I am hiking the triple crown of hiking (Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest trail and Continental Divide Trail) all in the same year for about 9 months and 7,500 miles of hiking. I am doing it for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention not only to just raise money but more importantly to bring awareness to a cause that none of us like to talk about. I write a blog/journal post every day on my site and facebook page and invite you to follow along, or at the very to just bring up the cause that is near and dear to me. I am currently 270 miles and two weeks into my great adventure!

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/freeoutside" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
website: http://www.freeoutside.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope everyone stays safe in my favorite state climbing some of my favorite mountains (Capital Peak is my favorite)

-Jeff
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Triple crown for Suicide prevention

Post by aweskamp »

Good luck!
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Good luck and have an amazing journey. CapitOl is definitely one of my favorite mountains in Colorado and I am glad never to have to go across that knife edge again.

This is a great cause. I have lost several friends to suicide over the last 30 years. That is one of the leading causes of death in my age category, yet not talked about too much in the media compared to terrorism or mass shootings. When was the last time that a presidential candidate addressed this issue? With 41,000 suicide deaths a year, it is like a 9/11 every single month of every single year.

Of particular importance when we are on this topic, I lost one friend last year partly due to cyber bullying on a different climbing forum. I would like to stress the importance of good manners and supportive messages on 14ers.com. For some of us, climbing and hiking is a large part of our identity and contributes to a major part of our self esteem. We all have different ability and experience levels and must encourage each other, regardless of our relative talents. Most of the time we are all very cordial, but occasionally someone opens up a large can of anger... :twisted:
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Very, very few people have completed a calendar year triple crown (3 or 4?). I hope you join that select group. I don't think any of them did the AT first, so you're doing something different. Good luck!

Haymaker (PCT '15)
Shattuck311
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 246 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shattuck311 »

Agreed with Eli, only a handful of people have ever accomplished this in a calendar year. However, I know of a handful that are attempting this year. You'll probably run into Jabba (the real hiking viking), and the woman who wrote 'married to the trail' on the AT. Both are on it now, looking for a calendar triple. Best of luck to all of you, even just getting out there and attempting is very admirable!
Wish I lived in CO
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Sounds exciting! Good luck and be safe.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

Incredible task, but a tremendous opportunity for adventure. Have fun, be safe.
quackquackcolorado
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

Good luck, Jeff! I stumbled across your blog a while ago - and also Mary's marriedtothetrail, another AT nobo going for the calendar triple crown. If done, you guys will be joining a very small and elite group of hikers.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Jeff is now in Colorado! He is a hiking machine!

https://m.facebook.com/freeoutside/phot ... &source=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Pretty amazing what Legend is doing. A very small number of people have done the AT, PCT, and CDT in a year. He's averaged 29.4 miles per day for the past two hundred and twelve days, including days off. He's still going to have to hoof it across Colorado to make it before the snow flies in the San Juans!
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

ezabielski wrote:Pretty amazing what Legend is doing. A very small number of people have done the AT, PCT, and CDT in a year. He's averaged 29.4 miles per day for the past two hundred and twelve days, including days off. He's still going to have to hoof it across Colorado to make it before the snow flies in the San Juans!
And he takes side trips!
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Just clarifying some terms/history: Flyin' Brian Robinson was the first person to complete the Calendar Triple Crown in 2001. When he said "calendar" he meant a calendar year, i.e., 2001. Brian started at Springer Mtn on January 1 with the intent to thru-hike the AT. That was an unusually snowy spring in New England, and he got bogged down by snow in I think March, so bailed on northern New England and went to hike the southern CDT instead. He returned to the AT at the end, and finished on Katadin around the last of Oct.

On a personal note, a read about Brian's trip on the Ultralist in early Sept that year & was blown away by what he was doing. As he was coming thru CO on the CDT just then, Buzz & I drove over to Grand Lake to meet him & hike with him for a couple days (it must have been almost exactly 15 years ago today). Talking to Brian & seeing what he was doing opened my eyes to some things and really changed my life in some ways. Later, I was able to do some wonderful trips with him.

Live the dream!

Edit: I looked it up, it was 9/8/2001 that we met Brian!