Spring Break National Park trip

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Spring Break National Park trip

Post by Tory Wells »

eskermo wrote:If crowds, gaping tourists, traffic, and development aren't your thing, then I'd suggest staying away from the Grand Canyon, at least during busy season. My visits to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone made me want to cry ](*,)
Are Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon crowded? Of course they are. (BTW, RMNP just moved into third place for most visited park, behind Great Smoky and the Grand Canyon). My experience with any national park has been: If you want solitude, you have to work for it. If you hang out at the rim of the GC, or near Old Faithful or Yellowstone Falls, you can expect crowds. If you do the harder hikes, if you go to the places where the fatties are not capable and the places that are harder to get to, you will be rewarded.

But remember, there's a reason why they are popular--they are friggin' awesome.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Tory Wells wrote:go to the places where the fatties are not capable
Come on man, seriously offensive. We all have strengths and weaknesses.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

He may not have said it in a very PC way, but that doesn't diminish the validity of his point. The stats say that ~70% of American are overweight and ~35% are full on obese. If you're willing to hike farther than those folks can comfortably go then you dramatically increase your odds of getting some solitude in areas that are widely regarded as being crowded.
Where ever you are... There you are.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I'll put in another plug for Capitol Reef - nice park with some different things like orchards where you can pick fruit (not in season in March though), pie shop with said fruit, pioneer history, and great scenery. It's far from everywhere but not really too far, not too crowded but it gets its share of visitors. Goblin is nearby too.

I hiked the Frying Pan trail in Capitol Reef and saw maybe 5 people the whole time - and it's one of the most popular trails there.

Bryce and Arches could be considered 'driving' parks since most visitors can see most of them from the road and pullouts in half a day each (lots of tour buses too). But there are good short hikes too as listed. The average visitor to the Grand Canyon spends 1-2 hours there. But if you're going to go that far spend more time, but the lodging is always booked well in advance. Especially if north rim isn't open. It's quite a drive to get to Zion form there if you're going to the main rim areas of GC.

Canyonlands near Moab has amazing scenery and I thought it was more scenic than the Grand Canyon (lots more colors and different types of canyons). Less hazy too and felt I could 'take it in' more with the views. Same with Zion.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Cruiser wrote:He may not have said it in a very PC way, but that doesn't diminish the validity of his point. The stats say that ~70% of American are overweight and ~35% are full on obese. If you're willing to hike farther than those folks can comfortably go then you dramatically increase your odds of getting some solitude in areas that are widely regarded as being crowded.
He said it in a very rude and disrespectful sort of way. His language was completely unnecessary to making his point (assuming his point was that the majority of visitors to NPs do not venture to far from their car (roads), regardless of body weight, and his purpose was not simply to hurl cheap shots at a segment of the population he does not like for whatever reason). America's (western culture's) weight problems have nothing to do with visiting NPs.
Best Regards
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

America's (western culture's) weight problems have nothing to do with visiting NPs.
They do highlight the need for national parks and other public places though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

A couple of suggestions:

Arches. I know its not wayback wilderness but you can see more spectacular rock formations in a short amount of time/travel than probably anywhere else. The hike to Delicate is still great and I will do it every time I am out there.

One of our 'secret' spots is called Hamburger Rock. Its actually a BLM campground designed for overflow from the Needles are of Canyonlands. Its on the road to the park entrance down south there. As the name suggests it is a giant rock, a miniature version of Ayers Rock with designated camps all around.

The great thing is this. Almost no one else is ever there. Last time we had it all to ourselves. Its in a flat section of the area but surrounded by the most beautiful scenery of cliff walls and spires. The sunset bouncing off the red rock is unreal, the most beautiful I've ever seen. We take folding lawn chairs, climb to the top, and sunbathe. Great place to be.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

Two hikes in the Needles district of Canyonlands.
1. Squaw canyon-Lost canyon loop~8.7 miles. A ladder and some interesting marsh in lost canyon.
2. Chesler Park loop with joint trail added on. Joint trails is a must when going to the Needles district. Good views of the Maze district also.

If you have a 4WD you could try and get a day use permit for the Peekaboo Road. Paul Bunyan's Potty is pretty cool, we did put a dent in the suburban many years ago on that road, deep sand and sharp turns.

Good luck and have fun, sounds like an amazing trip you are planning. If you decide on Chesler Park and happen to be there on the 23rd, maybe we will run into each other. I will be camping at CP4 with the old man.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

To OP: out of curiosity, are you flying into somewhere, or driving?
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

My family lives in the Springs and I'm at CU right now so we're just driving
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

snowymountainsrock wrote:My family lives in the Springs and I'm at CU right now so we're just driving
OK, in that case I would definitely suggest focusing on eastern Utah, rather than Zion, GC, etc. Otherwise, you will literally spend the majority of your spring break in the car. The desert southwest is a big place, and things are far apart. I'd say Capitol Reef is still a possibility, but I wouldn't go much farther than that.

Since it sounds like you're basically looking for mostly a road trip with cool day trips, I'd suggest something like this: 70 to 24 south (Hanksville), Goblin Valley and the San Rafael Swell, then maybe a detour to Capitol Reef, then south on 95 past the North Wash area, to Hite and eventually Blanding (Hanskville to Blanding might be one of the most spectacular drives in the country), then north on 191 towards Moab (with possible detour towards the Needles area of Canyonlands), then maybe a day in Arches and eventually back to the 70 via 128 (but don't forget to check out the Fisher Towers/Onion creek area). These were all my stomping grounds for a few months at one point, and all I can say is that you really can't go wrong with any of it.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The Jeep Safari is in Moab March 19-27.

Something to consider.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"