La Sal Mountains - Utah

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Shattuck311
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 246 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Sal Mountains - Utah

Post by Shattuck311 »

This is great info! I'm looking into possibly doing a La Sal traverse as a 60-100 mile backpacking trip. Curious what the normal season for these mountains are. I would assume they are passable by mid June and should stay open through the end of September? Or am I wrong in assuming the weather pattern and snow pack is similar to ranges in Colorado? Obviously these aren't hard dates, as conditions are different every year, but just trying to ballpark it :) Any help would be appreciated!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yes, I'd say that the weather patterns are close to that of much of Colorado. The monsoon is possibly slightly less strong, but it stays later.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Scott P wrote:
Scott P is correct the best winter approach to Peale and Tuk is from Gold Basin. However it can be avalanche prone this time of the year and a skier was injured in a slide there about a week ago
Gold Basin is avalanche prone, but the route in the link above really doesn't go into Gold Basin itself. It actually stays on the ridge east of the basin. There is little to no avalanche danger on this particular route and it is the safest route up Peale in the winter. However, the same cannot be said if you stray off route.

I've always referred to the route as the Gold Basin route since it uses the Gold Basin Road for access, and follows the ridge east of the basin but perhaps a better name for the route could be used. On the page I edited the name to "Gold Basin Ridge" though if anyone has a good alternate name for the route, I'd be happy to change it to that.
The ridge route that is referenced looks pretty safe from an Avy perspective, which is why it interests me. Most of the slopes on the south side of Peale looks to be at bad angles for avalanches, but there a minor ridge just above beaver lake that looks to be a little bit of a lower angle and a safer route. I'm aware of the la sal pass road closure, but even though its a little longer, it spend much less time on ridges and above 10k.

I'll probably go for the gold basin route. Thanks for your info.