La Sal Mountains - Utah

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ofmalicehearts
14ers: 2  1 
Trip Reports (0)

La Sal Mountains - Utah

Post by ofmalicehearts »

Looking to go climb one of the mountains in this range at the end of July and was wondering is anyone here is familiar with any of them and had any recommendations? Will be camping at Warner lake campgrounds.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: La Sal Mountains - Utah

Post by SoCool »

The high point, Mt. Peale (12,700), is really fun. But I hiked it from the south, it's not close to your campground.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I live in Moab and hike and climb in the La Sals year round.

As SoCool mentioned to climb the 3 highest peaks in the La Sals (Peale (12,700 feet), Tuk (12,500 feet), and Mellenthin (12,600 feet) would require driving south of Moab to the east side of the range (La Sal Pass) to reach the best approach route.

If you are planning to camp at Warner Lake, your best option in that area is Manns Peak (12,300 feet) with an option of traversing the ridge to Tomaski Peak (12,200 feet). Manns can be reached by taking the Burro Pass Trail east from the Warner campground to the top of Burro Pass and then taking a small side trail north to the summit of Manns. If you have the energy you can follow a faint trail along the obvious ridge to the east and climb Tomaski Peak as well (this will add another 1-2 miles round trip to your hike). Both of these peaks are easy Class 2 with a bit of steep talus to work your way through near the summit of Tomaski.

If you are feeling more adventurous and don't mind off trail hiking and route finding you can also hike Pilot Knob, Haystack Mountain, Green Mountain, and Mount Waas from the Warner Lake area but will probably want a map/compass or GPS for those peaks to ensure you don't get turned around (particularly below treeline). I would suggest picking up a copy of the Trails Illustrated Manti-La Sal National Forest maps as this will give you a good overview of the range, trails, etc.

Enjoy!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
ofmalicehearts
14ers: 2  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ofmalicehearts »

Just the information I was looking for! Thank you both very much!!
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Basically everything Kaiman said with some visual references.....

http://exploringtherockies.com/2014/09/ ... the-earth/

From the Burro Pass TH just East of Geyser Pass - you can climb, with enough energy/motivation, the entire Northern La Sals with relative ease. If nothing else, each summit has a unique vantage point of the surrounding landscape.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I have climbed most of the major peaks in the La Sals, and I don't think you can got wrong with any of them (it's the views rather than the mountains themselves that are the #1 attraction).

I also second the suggestion of Manns Peak. It would be the best bet form your campground.
As SoCool mentioned to climb the 3 highest peaks in the La Sals (Peale (12,700 feet), Tuk (12,500 feet), and Mellenthin (12,600 feet) would require driving south of Moab to the east side of the range (La Sal Pass) to reach the best approach route.
The Gold Basin route is a pretty good route to Tukuhnikivatz and Peale and is much closer to Warner Lake.

http://www.summitpost.org/gold-basin/159072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Geyser Pass is the easiest route up Mellenthin. If you are a strong hiker/scrambler, you can do a loop covering all three from Gold Basin/Geyser Pass. If you want to climb all three in one shot, this is probably the best route.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Anyone have any info on Mt. Peale in the winter?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Yes. The best access is from the north/Gold Basin Ridge in winter. Here's my description of the route, but it is somewhat brief:

http://www.summitpost.org/gold-basin/158902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll have to add a different map. Resolution technology has changed since I made that map!
Last edited by Scott P on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Scott P wrote:
Yes. The best access is from the north/Gold Basin in winter. Here's my description of the route, but it is somewhat brief:

http://www.summitpost.org/gold-basin/158902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll have to add a different map. Resolution technology has changed since I made that map!
It looks like la sal pass road could work too. There is a ridge directly north of beaver lake that looks like a good snow climb. What do you think?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

mtn_nut wrote:
Scott P wrote:
Yes. The best access is from the north/Gold Basin in winter. Here's my description of the route, but it is somewhat brief:

It looks like la sal pass road could work too. There is a ridge directly north of beaver lake that looks like a good snow climb. What do you think?
Scott P is correct the best winter approach to Peale and Tuk is from Gold Basin. However it can be avalanche prone this time of the year and a skier was injured in a slide there about a week ago: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... n__=%2C%3B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as the route from La Sal Pass goes, the standard summer route up Peale (and Tuk) starts from the top of La Sal Pass (just past Beaver Lake) and can be used as a winter route as well. The only issue is that the La Sal Pass road is closed in the winter time at the junction with 2 Mile Road about 7 miles east of the top of the pass (which will add 14 miles round trip to your climb). So while it's possible to do this as a winter climb it would be a very long day.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Scott P is correct the best winter approach to Peale and Tuk is from Gold Basin. However it can be avalanche prone this time of the year and a skier was injured in a slide there about a week ago
Gold Basin is avalanche prone, but the route in the link above really doesn't go into Gold Basin itself. It actually stays on the ridge east of the basin. There is little to no avalanche danger on this particular route and it is the safest route up Peale in the winter. However, the same cannot be said if you stray off route.

I've always referred to the route as the Gold Basin route since it uses the Gold Basin Road for access, and follows the ridge east of the basin but perhaps a better name for the route could be used. On the page I edited the name to "Gold Basin Ridge" though if anyone has a good alternate name for the route, I'd be happy to change it to that.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Scott P wrote:
Scott P is correct the best winter approach to Peale and Tuk is from Gold Basin. However it can be avalanche prone this time of the year and a skier was injured in a slide there about a week ago
Gold Basin is avalanche prone, but the route in the link above really doesn't go into Gold Basin itself. It actually stays on the ridge east of the basin. There is little to no avalanche danger on this particular route and it is the safest route up Peale in the winter. However, the same cannot be said if you stray off route.

I've always referred to the route as the Gold Basin route since it uses the Gold Basin Road for access, and follows the ridge east of the basin but perhaps a better name for the route could be used. On the page I edited the name to "Gold Basin Ridge" though if anyone has a good alternate name for the route, I'd be happy to change it to that.
Good call on renaming that route to Gold Basin Ridge Scott. I know which route you are speaking of but there are several other routes in Gold Basin (one that goes up North Tuk and one that climbs directly to the ridge between Tuk and Peale), so it's probably better to distinguish between them and yours (as the others are highly avalanche prone in the winter).

Kai

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick