Royal Arch loop, Grand Canyon

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Royal Arch loop, Grand Canyon

Post by AlexeyD »

Heading out there late next week. Have some logistical/beta-related questions. If anyone has done it and would be willing to share, would be much appreciated! Either in the forum or by PM is fine.

Thanks in advance!

AD
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Royal Arch loop, Grand Canyon

Post by pbakwin »

I've done it. Very worthwhile. Happy to answer questions.
http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/the-r ... nd-canyon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Thank you! OK, a couple to start:

1) Was there any water available at the Copper Canyon campsite?

2) Do you know the approximate mileage from Toltec Beach to Bass Rapids beach? Wondering how feasible this is in a single day.

3) Which side did you go around the big pour-off on - the "ledge of death" (left) or the right? We are going with my family and my mom has a bit of a fear of heights issue, so ideally we'd like to find the NOT ledge of death variation :)

4) Any water at the first campsite in Aztec amphitheater?

Thanks!

Alexey

EDITED: leaving this in the forum in case anyone else wants to use the beta later.
Bethie
14ers: 58 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bethie »

AlexeyD, Following your post. We're hoping to do the Royal Arch Loop route this fall. It's been on my bucket list for years! Please write a trip report of your experience when you return!!!

PBawkin, Great read! I hadn't heard of the Point Huitzil route you took down previous to your post. Is the route finding extremely difficult or no? Do you know what the mileage was before you met up with the Royal Arch Loop? I guess I can also research this on the internet, can't I!? LOL!!
Beth
"Wherever you go, there you are..."
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

1) We didn't see water at Copper Canyon but didn't look too far. There was no water from Toltec to Bass except one really manky pothole.

2) My notes show about 12 miles from Toltec to the Bass drainage. We continued on the Tonto, and I don't have the distance down to the river from there - maybe a couple more miles? I've gone down S Bass to the river (and up N Bass...), and can say you need to keep your eyes open to find the route down through the last cliff band above the river.

3) I believe I know what you're referring to as the "ledge of death". This is in the drainage above Royal Arch. The old route, on the left side (looking downstream), was supposed to be very exposed. The route on the right is convoluted but I remember it being easy & not scary.

4) Don't know where the campsite would be in Aztec. If I remember right the first water we came to was when we reached Royal Arch Creek. But, we went down from Pt Huitzil, not from the SB TH. Water is definitely an issue on this route! Some people say you might find water in S Bass drainage, but I didn't see any when we were there in October 2014. Maybe in the spring?

As far as route finding on the Pt Huitzil route, my memory is that it was actually pretty easy once we located the point to drop off the rim. We studied online reports & determined that you want to find a small drainage immediately south of Pt H. Then you just follow the drainage down, and I do believe it was cairned from the rim down. I can provide the route description we used. My data says that it is about 9 miles from Pasture Wash to Royal Arch, 12 to Toltec Beach. It was a fun & interesting route, much shorter than the standard trail.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Pbawkin - thanks a bunch!

Our plan right now is to do the route via the Esplanade from the S Bass trailhead - roughly as described on the NPS page. My question regarding distances from Toltec Beach was related to an idea of doing a long haul from "beach to beach" in order to avoid carrying water for 2 days - but based on the mileages you quote, and the effort involved getting down to the river along Bass Canyon, it sounds like it might not be worth it.

Thanks again!

AD
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

What an awesome loop - we did it this exact same time of year. Here is a TR I posted: http://www.summitpost.org/grand-canyon- ... oop/610437 PM me if you have any other questions

1) We found no water at Copper Canyon

2) 12 miles sounds about right

3) We went right, lots of easy scrambling up and down but not too exposed. Of course scrambling with a full pack makes things much harder

4) We did find water but not much more than a trickle
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Thanks to everyone for your information! The trip was amazing - very highly recommended! TR pending.