Peaks near Saratoga, Wyoming

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ashley
Trip Reports (0)

Peaks near Saratoga, Wyoming

Post by Ashley »

We will be staying in Saratoga Springs, Wyoming the second weekend in May to celebrate my birthday. We've never hiked in the Medicine Bow range, and are looking to do a few peaks while we are there. Can anyone recommend a good hike in the area, and what conditions we can expect that time of year? I know it can be variable. We are experienced summer hikers, but have limited experience in snow. Thank you!
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Peaks near Saratoga, Wyoming

Post by Buckie06 »

I've hiked the area many many times. It is beautiful. Sadly highway 130 will probably still be closed at the top of the pass. They typically open on Memorial Weekend. Last year it opened memorial weekend friday at 1pm.

So with the road closed, you'll have to hike up about 10 miles to get to the Medicine Bow Peak trailhead at Lake Marie.

There are however great xc ski trails all over the area that are accessible from the open portion of the highway. Behind the brush creek ranger station is a campground where a nice XC or snowshoe trail starts.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

My first thought was Elk mountain the 8th most prominent peak in Wyoming. I'm not sure if it has legal access or not, though. It's got some radio towers on the top.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

I lived in Laramie for several years, and the road up to medicine bow does open early some years. Look into it, because it's one of the most beautiful areas anywhere. There are several easy routes on medicine bow peak, including traverse options. Also several snow routes and scrambles.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Timothy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Timothy »

As mentioned above, much depends on how far you are able to drive. If the pass is open, from Saratoga, drive South on WY 130 about 6 miles, turn left (staying on WY 130 / Snowy Range Rd.) toward Laramie, then head east to the top of Snowy Range Pass. Medicine Bow Pk. (12,013) and Sugarloaf Mtn. (11,398) are prominent to the north near the top of the pass. Both are rather rugged, and the weather on top of the Snowy Range can change quickly. There are plenty of other hiking options as well. In May, I would recommend being prepared for winter conditions. Falling rocks can also be an issue in a few spots. The scenery is fabulous.

If you are driving to Saratoga from the Denver area, I suggest taking I-70 west then US-40 north over Berthoud Pass, then CO-125 up through Walden, CO and Riverside, WY rather than the I-70/I-80 or US-287 routes. There is hardly any traffic and the scenery is very nice. And one other note, the Wolf Hotel has some of the best food in Saratoga (reservations are a good idea).
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎