Grand Canyon Cross Corridor Conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Grand Canyon Cross Corridor Conditions

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Has anybody been in the Grand Canyon lately and have any trail condition updates for the North Rim area? A group of us are mainly curious how much snow is on the North Kaibab Trail, at what point the snow begins and what water sources were turned on, besides Phantom Ranch. We're starting at the South Rim, going to the North Rim and back.

As of March 11th I show Cottonwood Campground had water on, I am going to call the GC NPS Backcountry Office next week to get a more current update.

Once we get back April 11th I'll post an update, as I know several members get out to the Canyon around this time each year.

Thanks!
Luke
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Re: Grand Canyon Cross Corridor Conditions

Post by Hoot »

Lots of info here. A recent report says 99.2% snow free on 1 April.
Cool Hand Luke
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I was there a week ago, hiked grand view to South kaibab and didn't see any snow. Might be a little on the north rim, but doubtful.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Just came back from a 5-day trip starting on the south rim (Royal Arch loop). Absolutely no snow to speak of anywhere - and very little water as well. Would be very surprised in the north rim is any different. Very warm, late-spring conditions out there...
Cool Hand Luke
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I spoke with the Grand Canyon Backcountry Office yesterday and, pending any pipeline breaks, Cottonwood Campground and Pumphouse are currently turned on. The Ranger said there are no plans to turn them off until the fall (of course, please double check and do not solely rely on this information if you are hiking in the area).

Once I am back next week I'll post another update.
Cool Hand Luke
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Conditions were great in the Canyon. Water is on at Phantom Ranch, Cottonwood and the Pumphouse. The North Rim is still turned off, did not check Supai Tunnel.

The main water station at Phantom Ranch has something wrong with it, there is another spigot on the backside of the snack store that worked fine.

As noted before, please do not solely rely on this information and please check with the Grand Canyon Backcountry Office on up-to-date water sources.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Were you the guy busting along with fireonthemountain? I was the one that chatted with you two on the first half going to Cottonwood, if so. What'd your time end up being?

Conditions were awesome. Supai Tunnel water was off, by the way.
Cool Hand Luke
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

ezabielski wrote:Were you the guy busting along with fireonthemountain? I was the one that chatted with you two on the first half going to Cottonwood, if so. What'd your time end up being?
Hey, nice to meet you on the trail; Abe told me who you were on our way up the North Rim. I wasn't feeling great up and down the North Rim, sorry for not chatting it up more. Ended up finishing at 8:54, the conditions were great.

Congrats on the strong finish too, and thanks for the Supai water update.