Camp Muir/Rainier Cell Coverage

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Camp Muir/Rainier Cell Coverage

Post by LetsGoMets »

Does anyone have any recent first hand experience with cell coverage on the mountain, particularly around Camp Muir? Currently using T-Mobile and am expecting zero service with them, but may switch carriers if someone has had somewhat decent experience with Verizon or AT&T up there.
MateoK2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camp Muir/Rainier Cell Coverage

Post by MateoK2 »

Verizon is the only one that works. Was just there, base to Camp Muir (couldn't go higher due to weather) in early March. Get a throw away from Verizon for your trip, it's worth it to be able to at least text out and communicate with loved ones if you are up there for any extended amount of time.
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

MateoK2 wrote:Verizon is the only one that works. Was just there, base to Camp Muir (couldn't go higher due to weather) in early March. Get a throw away from Verizon for your trip, it's worth it to be able to at least text out and communicate with loved ones if you are up there for any extended amount of time.

Much appreciated, I'll do that!
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

FYI, Verizon has *okay* coverage at Camp Muir. I can send texts, but I wouldn't expect to be able to catch up on your emails there. Also, there's no coverage at Paradise, I didn't really get it until about 8500-9000 ft.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by falcon568 »

My 2 cents...who cares about cell phone coverage! Part of the allure of climbing is getting away from the increasingly obsessed modern day cell phone addiction. Early expeditions were completely alone in their endeavors, people just disappeared for weeks on end and sent out communique afterwards. In my opinion, climbing is cheapened by constant cell phone communication. Cut it all off, enjoy the climb as it was meant to be enjoyed, and catch up with people afterwards. I've "survived" multiple expeditions to Alaska and Nepal without being tied into society, and consider the trips better for it.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
MateoK2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MateoK2 »

Falcon...to each their own....
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

falcon568 wrote:My 2 cents...who cares about cell phone coverage! Part of the allure of climbing is getting away from the increasingly obsessed modern day cell phone addiction. Early expeditions were completely alone in their endeavors, people just disappeared for weeks on end and sent out communique afterwards. In my opinion, climbing is cheapened by constant cell phone communication. Cut it all off, enjoy the climb as it was meant to be enjoyed, and catch up with people afterwards. I've "survived" multiple expeditions to Alaska and Nepal without being tied into society, and consider the trips better for it.

Somewhat extreme viewpoint. I'm not asking because I will be unable to "survive", nor do I want to play candy crush, nor do I want to keep a constant instagram/facebook feed of my adventures. I am however going to need communication options with my wife and family periodically over a 5-6 day span. I appreciate your viewpoint, and thanks for the history lesson on how early expeditions worked, it was very interesting.
bryan0313
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bryan0313 »

I did Rainier in September with RMI. There were several people that were able to make calls from Camp Muir. Couldn't tell you what provider they used though. Think you should be fine.
LetsGoMets
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

bryan0313 wrote:I did Rainier in September with RMI. There were several people that were able to make calls from Camp Muir. Couldn't tell you what provider they used though. Think you should be fine.

Appreciate it! Probably going to just bring a burner Verizon phone. I'll repost next month on how it goes.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

shredthegnar10 wrote:FYI, Verizon has *okay* coverage at Camp Muir. I can send texts, but I wouldn't expect to be able to catch up on your emails there. Also, there's no coverage at Paradise, I didn't really get it until about 8500-9000 ft.
This is accurate, zero coverage at Paradise, spotty but mostly reliable at Camp Muir, full 4G on the summit with Verizon. I did have 4G almost the entire time on the north side of the mountain, in case anyone is wondering about that side.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

How about Camp Sherman and the Emmons, Winthrop glaciers? Anyone know about the Verizon coverage there?

Thanks,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick