Everest NOT highest peak on earth!

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Everest NOT highest peak on earth!

Post by mikefromcraig »

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/new ... rth/66219/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, those people who paid $60,000 for Everest are really going to be pissed!
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Everest NOT highest peak on earth!

Post by tobiasfunke »

I opened this thread and was pleasantly surprised that it was from Mike. This is going to be good...
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Hey, I've soloed this mountain, bragging rights fersher.

But, I did not start from the center of the earth. From sea level, it's only 20,000 feet, which doesn't impress anybody.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Everest climbers don't start from sea level. If you measure from the base, pretty sure a Hawaiian peak would best all... from sea floor.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

does anyone really care what point is farthest from the center of the earth ???
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Not this again. Highest I have been is the summit of Elbert so I'm impressed with 20,000 feet.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

This is not new. Chimborazo has been known to be farther from the center of the earth for hundreds of years. :roll:

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q= ... s%20center" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

One of many reasons that Alexander von Humboldt was the most awesome dude ever.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Scott P wrote:This is not new. Chimborazo has been known to be farther from the center of the earth for hundreds of years. :roll:

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q= ... s%20center" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agreed.

And it doesn't matter, real altitude is everything, as Chimbo ins't hard to summit, and Everest is (if you do it properly).

Now what would be interesting is if there was a 27k or 28k foot peak up North in Alaska or Russia, which would likely feel more difficult than Everest due to being further from the equator. Hmm...

Luckily there is nothing remotely close...Denali is the highest peak, further from the equator in the world...and its barely 6,000m.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Which begs the question: Is Culebra "higher" than Denali?
:-k
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The air pressure on Denali is equivalent to 3000 feet higher on Everest.
https://8kpeak.com/pages/altitude-real-feel
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

MonGoose wrote:Which begs the question: Is Culebra "higher" than Denali?
According to http://www.summitpost.org/distance-to-t ... rth/849764 the answer is yes.

If I've entered the numbers correctly it looks like Culebra is 6,374.7 km from the center of the earth, whereas Denali is a mere 6,367.4 km. Not even close.

In fact just sitting on my backside here in the Boulder area I'm "higher" than Denali.

BTW I checked the Summitpost calculator against the numbers quoted in the Weather Network story for Everest and Chimborazo. It wasn't 100% accurate but it wasn't bad.