Big Horns?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Big Horns?

Post by workmanflock »

I'm headed to the Big Horns next week to fly fish and hopefully hike some peaks. I've found very little in the way of beta on peaks. Can anyone point me to sources? I'm not looking to backpack but I don't mind upwards of 20-25 mile hikes in a day. I'm pretty comfortable with topo maps and bushwhacking so trails aren't a necessity.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Big Horns?

Post by The Android »

I have only done Cloud Peak via the standard route up, and a slightly modified route down. The trails from the topo were very easy to find. Lack of beta is definitely part of the appeal of that area for peaks. I think one of them might have an old bomber on it somewhere?

It is very nice up there, beautiful lakes and great mountains. Watch out for bears as I remember that sounded common when I talked to backpackers I met.

Oh, also, the thunderstorms up there build up fantastically and sometimes quite early!
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

The Android wrote:I have only done Cloud Peak via the standard route up, and a slightly modified route down. The trails from the topo were very easy to find. Lack of beta is definitely part of the appeal of that area for peaks. I think one of them might have an old bomber on it somewhere?

It is very nice up there, beautiful lakes and great mountains. Watch out for bears as I remember that sounded common when I talked to backpackers I met.

Oh, also, the thunderstorms up there build up fantastically and sometimes quite early!
Grizzlies or black bears?
The Android
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

I believe it was black bears only.

Also, not sure what your general experience hiking/scrambling is, but I seem to remember thinking that Black Tooth Mtn. looks spectacular. It looked like it was probably class 3 or 4 to low 5?
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

The Android wrote:I believe it was black bears only.

Also, not sure what your general experience hiking/scrambling is, but I seem to remember thinking that Black Tooth Mtn. looks spectacular. It looked like it was probably class 3 or 4 to low 5?
Black bears are less scary, I'll watch how I store food. I used to do quite a bit of technical climbing but injuries have sidelined me. I'm ok with the odd low fifth class sections these days as long as the down climb isn't too high risk. Nice long sections of third and fourth class are pretty much fun for me, ridges with them are my favorites.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Grizzly bears are very rare in the Big Horn mountains. Cloud Peak is a good day hike, plus it is the second most prominent peak in the state. The solitude in that range is well worth the trip.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Not exactly current beta, but Summitpost has a pretty in depth overview of the Big Horns including the major peaks (like Cloud Peak, etc.), as well as route info for each peak, approaches, etc. It should give you a pretty good idea of what you are in for.

Kai

http://www.summitpost.org/big-horn-range/170884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

spiderman wrote:Grizzly bears are very rare in the Big Horn mountains. Cloud Peak is a good day hike, plus it is the second most prominent peak in the state. The solitude in that range is well worth the trip.
The Solitude is what I'm going for. I'm bringing a decent selection of flies and a 4wd.
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

Richard Derkase wrote:
spiderman wrote: Cloud Peak is a good day hike, plus it is the second most prominent peak in the state.
A good very long day hike. http://www.summitpost.org/southwest-rid ... eek/556622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dick
Thanks, I just ordered head nets for the bugs.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Cloud Peak is an excellent hike (think boulder hopping for miles). Keep in mind the West and Middle Ten Sleep drainages require the use of WAG bags. And you probably won't find solitude in either of those two drainages. Bear storage containers are highly recommended for the black bears that populate the range.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

rijaca wrote:Cloud Peak is an excellent hike (think boulder hopping for miles). Keep in mind the West and Middle Ten Sleep drainages require the use of WAG bags. And you probably won't find solitude in either of those two drainages. Bear storage containers are highly recommended for the black bears that populate the range.
Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered WAG bags.
The Android
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

I was thinking about this post some more and I remembered I did create a Strava when I was there. Here is a track of our route. We descended that steeper headwall as a storm was rolling in. It was pretty nice class 3 rock as I recall. The backpackers were concentrated around Mistymoon and Marion Lakes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/175152195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread is really making me want to go back and look at Black Tooth:
http://www.summitpost.org/black-tooth-a ... sey/556608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;