Big Horns?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Big Horns?

Post by workmanflock »

The Android wrote:I was thinking about this post some more and I remembered I did create a Strava when I was there. Here is a track of our route. We descended that steeper headwall as a storm was rolling in. It was pretty nice class 3 rock as I recall. The backpackers were concentrated around Mistymoon and Marion Lakes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/175152195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread is really making me want to go back and look at Black Tooth:
http://www.summitpost.org/black-tooth-a ... sey/556608" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that. How annoying is the talus hopping? I'm reading that it's something like 6 miles of boulder hopping and my wife has had a recent knee injury. On the whole, is it worth going and just doing long day hikes into fishing spots? I'm feeling particularly lazy planning wise and it's easy to fall into going to places I know like the Tetons.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

Agree with Dick. As soon as we left the established trail it was just miles of continuous but easy boulder hopping.
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

I'll have to give it some thought. We are going to attempt to start off with a loop of south to north Rawah which, while long, is mostly on a well marked trail. I suppose we can always head over to the Winds around Lander for more mellow hiking if her knee acts up.

I think I'll head up there one way or another. After 10 attempts at fly fishing I've caught 1, yes 1 fish. I need an ego booster.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

Did the Rawah last year but early and had a lot of snow. Didn't get to fish unfortunately so no beta. I think the Bighorns may trump the Rawah.

Did the Big Horns this year (a couple of weeks ago). No peaks as it was a fishing trip (5 day 4 night BP). Cloud Peak out of Ten sleep would have been the goal if a peak was in the cards.

We did a loop in Circle Park: Willow Lake caught Grayling (the first of my career), Old Crow Lake phenomenal big Brookie fishing, Lame Deer lake Browns and Rainbows, Firehole Lakes all the above fish plus Goldens (supposedly). There were more but this is enough of a tease. The latter two lakes can be a bit tough to get to with the cross country along with rock fall and down fall. The fishing was great with mainly dry action - Adams and Caddis (gray color worked best). Peak bagging from here would probably be Darton or Bighorn. This can easily be day hike fishing.

Other friends did the Ten Sleep area and said the fishing was great (can be day hike fishing as well). Misty Moon Lake was specifically mentioned however the area is polluted with lakes and streams.

This would also be the approach to Cloud Peak although there are closer peaks like Darton, Elk, Mather and Bighorn that might be more fun for a combination fishing climbing trip.

Regardless of the day hike notation above, we did BP as the morning and the evening offered the best fishing. Mid day is still tougher fly fishing. Hope this helps.

As was discussed in an earlier post, be prepared for T-Storms and early in the day. On the way out we got nailed with the T-Storm and Hailstorm from hell. We were prepared but marble sized hail still hurts regardless of protection. If the knee is a problem, I can say Circle park to Sherd Lake is doable however can't speak to the fishing even though it's a popular fishing lake.
Last edited by Turtle Boy on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
workmanflock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

I think we'll do Clark and Cameron one day then north and south Rawah another. Then, off to a hotel to shower and then plan on just doing lake hikes with some fishing in the Big Horns before a touristy trip through Cody and Yellowstone before capping it off with South Teton. If my wife's knee is bad we'll do shorter lake hikes for fishing. I'll call this an exploratory Big Horn trip and go back when my wife's knee is in better shape and I have more energy for scouting beta. Thanks for all the responses. I tend to get lazy when it comes to learning brand new areas and have to fight the urge to stay in Colorado exploring areas I pretty much already know.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Sounds like you have it planned out. The only peak I've done in the Bighorns is Darton Peak, but like the others mentioned, involves a lot of time on talus and boulders. The view is, of course, worth it.