Mt. Shasta Clear Creek Route

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Mt. Shasta Clear Creek Route

Post by Txhiker42 »

I'm heading up Mt. Shasta in a few weeks via Clear Creek. Does anyone have any info as far as the type of trail to expect? I've heard/read everything from "it's a solid Class 1 trail" to "no trail at all; total loose scree the whole way". I'm imagining 7000'+ of Bross ascent/descent but hoping that's not the case.
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Shasta Clear Creek Route

Post by 719BR »

Txhiker42 wrote:I'm heading up Mt. Shasta in a few weeks via Clear Creek. Does anyone have any info as far as the type of trail to expect? I've heard/read everything from "it's a solid Class 1 trail" to "no trail at all; total loose scree the whole way". I'm imagining 7000'+ of Bross ascent/descent but hoping that's not the case.
i did this route 2 years ago, so things could have changed, but the sp route page was pretty helpful. to be honest, the nav and trail is pretty straighforward. we had some partial snow cover, and the trail was more visible and/or braided in some places, but you should not have troubles. in short, it should not be a 7,000' scree slog. though you will have some, to be sure.

on our trip we camped above the springs, just below 10k', for a shorter summit day. it is a beautiful mountain and you should have a great time. pm me if you need more beta, i may still have our gpx.
bobschaffer27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bobschaffer27 »

I'm looking to do Mt. Shasta this September 2017 on a solo attempt, hopefully my first 14er. Any feedback based on your attempt from this post last year?

Thanks!
Bob
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I did it in July 2015 and the navigation overall was very easy. The lower part had an excellent trail but it becomes covered with snow as you proceed higher up. With the massive snowpack in Northern California, I think that you quickly will be following the bootpack to the top. It looks like there is 4 feet of snow down to very low elevations if the NOAA map is correct. The slope is never that steep so it shouldn't matter much if you are walking on dirt or snow.

I am sure that you will not be alone since that peak is only a few hours drive from several massive urban centers.