Yosemite Peaks

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Yosemite Peaks

Post by Hiker Mike »

I am headed to Yosemite next month and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for mountain day hikes in the park?

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Yosemite Peaks

Post by Kent McLemore »

Yosemite National Park covers 1200 square miles. There are over 800 miles of trials and 30 peaks exceed 12,000' in elevation. What part of the park will you be visiting?
-km
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

I read Muir's Yosemite before going to follow his suggestions for "if you have a day in the Park" thinking that if it was good enough for him...
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Half Dome is the classic Yosemite Hike. When done as a day hike from the Valley it is similar in effort to Longs Peak- 14 miles, 4600 foot climb, and exciting class 3 part on a slat-and-cable ladder. Not the thin air part however. Plus two beautiful waterfalls during the first part of the hike.

Some people break the long hike into into three days camping in Little Yosemite Valley two nights.

A third way is form Tioga Road, climbing Clouds Rest each way. It is a little shorter but has three subclimbs.

Permits are required until Columbus Day. Some can be obtained in advance and a few on the day before the hike.
Last edited by peter303 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

There are a couple 13Kers off Tioga Road. Mt Conness is an all day hike starting behind Lambert Dome. Mt Dana starts near the east entrance.
I have used these as acclimitization for Whitney.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Cathedral Peak was Muir's favorite.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I thought Conness and North were fantastic, but we did a slightly harder combo. Both have class 2 routes on them; Conness can also be done as a half day trip from the east at class 2-3 with slightly tricky route finding.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Txhiker42
14ers: 27 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Txhiker42 »

In addition to Half Dome, Cloud's Rest is a classic. Making it up there in time for sunrise will be something that you'll never forget.
It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun. -Jeff Lowe
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

Kent McLemore wrote:Yosemite National Park covers 1200 square miles. There are over 800 miles of trials and 30 peaks exceed 12,000' in elevation. What part of the park will you be visiting?
We will be staying at Half Dome Village and we will have a car although I hope the traffic isn't too bad the week after Labor Day.

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Cathedral Peak is pretty cool but the backside route is pretty legit 4th class. I'd recommend wrapping all the way around to the saddle with Eichhon Pinnacle prior to traversing back towards the summit.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Hiker Mike wrote:We will be staying at Half Dome Village and we will have a car although I hope the traffic isn't too bad the week after Labor Day.

Mike
Post-Labor Day is the time to go.
Explore the Valley. Hike to the base of El Cap. Take a pair of binocs to the meadow and watch the big-wallers do their thing. The Four Mile Trail up to Glacier Point is a gem of a hike.
Half Dome: If you've never done, do it. A sublime expereince in spite of the hoards. A long day. Permit required.
Cloud's Rest: an overnighter for most folks. Unbeatable view.
Tenaya Canyon: A scrambler's paradise with endless lines of clean granite. Class 3 on up.

With a car, escape the chaos...
120/Tioga Road: on the way to Tuolumne Meadows check out Tenaya Peak and Lake, just off the road.
Tuolumne Meadows leads to many wonderful areas.
Unicorn Peak via Elizabeth Lake: Unicorn is part of the Cathedral Range and when viewed from the north resembles its better known spire-like siblings. The crazy exposure of the class 4 move near the summit block has turned me around three times! Yet I've never regretted the attempts. Stunning views of Cathedral Peak, Coxcomb, Mathes Crest, the Meadows and domes to the north and Lyell Canyon to the east and south. One of my favorite peaks anywhere, though I can't seem to summit.
In the history of Yosemite hiking, no one has ever regretted hiking up Lyell Canyon.
Also south of the Meadows, Rafferty Creek Trail leads to more superb high-alpine terrain.

North of the Meadows you'll find more solitude. Numerous trails lead to many domes, walls and valleys all composed of fine Sierra granite. Lembert Dome is the most accessible, just north of 120. Many fine technical routes as well as some super fun scrambling lead to a summit with an incredible vista.

The other suggestions are all great by the way. Have a great trip!
-km