Grand Teton Conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Grand Teton Conditions

Post by kushrocks »

Has anyone been up The Grand lately? I figured a lot of people would have been up there over Labor Day weekend. I heard it was pretty icy recently but hopefully the warm temps over the next few days help melt some of that off. Thanks in advance.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Grand Teton Conditions

Post by atalarico »

kushrocks wrote:Has anyone been up The Grand lately? I figured a lot of people would have been up there over Labor Day weekend. I heard it was pretty icy recently but hopefully the warm temps over the next few days help melt some of that off. Thanks in advance.
Check out this guy's blog for usually the most up-to-date and accurate conditions on the Grand wyomingwhiskey.blogspot.com

From what he wrote, yes, there was ice, and no, it sounds like it might not be melting much since the temps up there are well below freezing overnight now. Me and my partner are planning on climbing O/S next Friday or Saturday. Last year, we decided to turn around on our car-to-car attempt at the Belly Crawl on O/S last year because of wind (the NWS station up there reported 90mph gusts). We're hoping for a little melt off too, but we'll be bringing traction in case.

Cheers!
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

That's kind of what I figured. I reallt appreciate the reply. Good luck if you head up there again soon.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Let me know how it goes, I'm thinking of doing this end of september, I don't mind a little ice and have traction and an ample supply of moxie and want to avoid the summer clouds. Is OS a better choice that time of year or Exum?
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:end of september... Is OS a better choice that time of year or Exum?
(U)E. It gets more sun and is generally less icy.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Let me know how it goes, I'm thinking of doing this end of september, I don't mind a little ice and have traction and an ample supply of moxie and want to avoid the summer clouds. Is OS a better choice that time of year or Exum?
From what I gather, the closer you push to October, the more snow on top of that ice you might have to contend with, and they're calling for a few inches of snow this weekend. Temps don't seem to be pushing that far above freezing right now above the upper saddle, and with the sort of constant wind they get up there, expect it to be frigid.

Our experience last year with the 90mph gusts in August on the shaded side of the peak was making our lips turn purple despite having every layer of clothing we carried (long underwear, gloves, mid weight mid layer, light down jacket, and shell). Exum receives more sun though, and from reports that day we were up there, it was way calmer and warmer over there. The Upper Exum was actually our original objective too and we decided on OS instead. Go figure.

I completely understand the avoidance of clouds (and crowds). Also from what I've read, while they might start getting snow now, there are still one or two more warm and dry spells they'll get which might melt off most of the ice and make for some great Indian Summer conditions. Kind of a crapshoot, so give yourself as many extra days for weather as you can.

Oh, and the route finding just to get up to any of the climbs is onerous, and an engaging scramble on it's own. I'm very glad I brought as many beta photos as I did in addition to the GPX file for the hike in the dark. That Whisky Wyoming blog has incredibly detailed photos, so use them!

Cheers!
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Monster5 wrote:
SchralpTheGnar wrote:end of september... Is OS a better choice that time of year or Exum?
(U)E. It gets more sun and is generally less icy.
What he said!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

atalarico wrote:
SchralpTheGnar wrote:Let me know how it goes, I'm thinking of doing this end of september, I don't mind a little ice and have traction and an ample supply of moxie and want to avoid the summer clouds. Is OS a better choice that time of year or Exum?
From what I gather, the closer you push to October, the more snow on top of that ice you might have to contend with, and they're calling for a few inches of snow this weekend. Temps don't seem to be pushing that far above freezing right now above the upper saddle, and with the sort of constant wind they get up there, expect it to be frigid.

Our experience last year with the 90mph gusts in August on the shaded side of the peak was making our lips turn purple despite having every layer of clothing we carried (long underwear, gloves, mid weight mid layer, light down jacket, and shell). Exum receives more sun though, and from reports that day we were up there, it was way calmer and warmer over there. The Upper Exum was actually our original objective too and we decided on OS instead. Go figure.

I completely understand the avoidance of clouds (and crowds). Also from what I've read, while they might start getting snow now, there are still one or two more warm and dry spells they'll get which might melt off most of the ice and make for some great Indian Summer conditions. Kind of a crapshoot, so give yourself as many extra days for weather as you can.

Oh, and the route finding just to get up to any of the climbs is onerous, and an engaging scramble on it's own. I'm very glad I brought as many beta photos as I did in addition to the GPX file for the hike in the dark. That Whisky Wyoming blog has incredibly detailed photos, so use them!

Cheers!
I've climbed Bierdstat so I'm not too worried.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:
atalarico wrote:

Cheers!
I've climbed Bierdstat so I'm not too worried.
lol. You'll be just fine then! After all, GT isn't even a 14'er!
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

O/S is cold in July, let alone October. Upper Exum is an amazing route however, especially when that sunshine hits. It will rock your world.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Oh, this forecast is neat (attachment below). So now the question is...if it snows as much as they're forecasting (which it could be more and it could be less), will it melt out enough by Friday or Saturday? I'm more than OK with using a little traction for the occasional patch of verglas, but I'm less so with a full on technical ice/snow climb.

Feeling like our scheduling and injury delays have perhaps hosed us out of a shot this year. So frustrating, but I know it'll be there. I'd rather not spend Jackson kind of money on going up there and maybe just focus on a nicer local goal like Kiener's, Capital, or the Bells Traverse.
Attachments
Grand_Teton_Weather_Forecast__4197m_.jpg
Grand_Teton_Weather_Forecast__4197m_.jpg (279.19 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I follow some IFMGA guides on Instagram and there was talk last week of Grand Teton/UE guiding season being over. This route is on my long term to-do list :) Injuries suck for sure, but there's always next year.