Mount Rainier questions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mount Rainier questions

Post by Pops921 »

+1 for RMI and Rainier.

I have done 11 different expeditions with RMI around the world and been on Rainier 7 times. Great mountain and great guides. The guides stats say the best summit percentages are in last 2 weeks of July and the first 2 weeks of August. The later you go in the year, the more open the crevices are and the "spicer" the route.
Wife and I just got back from hiking the 93 mile wonderland trail, it was awesome....only 1 day of bad weather.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
quattordesch
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quattordesch »

Following
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Thank you, everyone! I was hoping for a day in late July but all I could garner was August 29 - Sept 1st. Just happy to be able to take part though! Now, it is time for the training to begin. Thanks, again!

Also, quattord...where in NC are you?
HTX34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HTX34 »

I did Rainier with RMI on May 29th of this year. Great experience, great guides, you won't go wrong with RMI.

Good Luck and have fun!
-HTX34-
Shooter
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 228 1 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shooter »

I am also interested in doing this next year. Targeting the end of June beginning of July. I'm leaning towards the Emmons Glacier route but from what I have researched so far it didn't look like RMI guides that route. I could be wrong but if that is the case do most people go through IMG that are doing that route?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Shooter wrote:I am also interested in doing this next year. Targeting the end of June beginning of July. I'm leaning towards the Emmons Glacier route but from what I have researched so far it didn't look like RMI guides that route. I could be wrong but if that is the case do most people go through IMG that are doing that route?
Some companies do guide the Emmons, but most stick to the DC Route because of their permits with the NPS and to keep guided teams in one particular place on the mountain. If you decide you want to go unguided, my climbing partner and I are planning on doing the Emmons Glacier route unguided as well as the Coleman Deming or Easton Glacier route on Mount Baker in early July 2017. We had planned to do it this year, but with the Park Service reservation snafu and two climbing partners bailing on us 3 weeks before the trip, we had to cancel. We have both had crevasse rescue training through CMC/CMS and will be having a practice day at Saint Mary's sometime in mid-May. PM me if you're interested and would consider joining us.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Shooter
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 228 1 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shooter »

kaiman wrote:
Shooter wrote:I am also interested in doing this next year. Targeting the end of June beginning of July. I'm leaning towards the Emmons Glacier route but from what I have researched so far it didn't look like RMI guides that route. I could be wrong but if that is the case do most people go through IMG that are doing that route?
Some companies do guide the Emmons, but most stick to the DC Route because of their permits with the NPS and to keep guided teams in one particular place on the mountain. If you decide you want to go unguided, my climbing partner and I are planning on doing the Emmons Glacier route unguided as well as the Coleman Deming or Easton Glacier route on Mount Baker in early July 2017. We had planned to do it this year, but with the Park Service reservation snafu and two climbing partners bailing on us 3 weeks before the trip, we had to cancel. We have both had crevasse rescue training through CMC/CMS and will be having a practice day at Saint Mary's sometime in mid-May. PM me if you're interested and would consider joining us.

Kai

PM sent
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

This is a couple years old, but is good info on success rates, time of year, # of climbers, etc. The http://www.stephabegg.com/home/projects ... statistics website has info for other routes as well.

I've used RMI twice in early July. It is a well run organization with generally excellent guides that (as others have said) is primarily concerned with safety, and secondly getting as many of the group up and down. I find the organization highly impressive, though found that when I went with a private guide for the Grand Teton it was a more rewarding experience to not be quite so organized.

Having said that, it is money well spent on learning mountain skills and it's an incredible mountain, so find a way to get out there!
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com