Sites with great beta on Washington, etc. mtns

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Sites with great beta on Washington, etc. mtns

Post by Scott P »

SuperPolok wrote:
Monster5 wrote: Beckey's guides aren't nearly as bad as Michael Kelsey's guidebooks though.
I've always thought of Kelsey's books as the outsider art of the guidebook world. I both love and hate them.
Personally, I have always liked his books.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Other places to check out: Mountaineers.org, (Washington+ more) and http://mazamas.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, (Oregon). Best of luck and success.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

+1 for the Beckey guidebooks. There's also a Falcon guidebook titled "Climbing Washington's Mountains" that is pretty good.

Aside from that, I usually use Summitpost/Mountain Project for route information -- CascadeClimbers can be good for info about conditions but I haven't found it to be useful for finding climbing partners.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Post by Aubrey »

Great recommendations thus far. IMO, none of the websites up here even remotely compare to 14ers.com. All resources -- web and guidebooks -- are pathetically pale in comparison. Most are frustratingly vague at best and inaccurate at worst. I've found that climbing mountains in the North Cascades is much more challenging, overall, when it comes to distance, gain, terrain, routefinding, weather, etc. And online beta sharing is extremely limited (compared to what you find in Colorado). While elevations may not be as high, the vertical gain on most climbs is usually as much or much more than your average CO 14er. In my 6 years here, I've been truly humbled. Don't misinterpret this as me discounting CO 14ers. They are definitely challenging and worthy of respect. Just know that WA mountains, especially those in the North Cascades, are completely different beasts.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

If you have a lot of time in the Cascades, Beckey's guides are essential, as there's nothing at all like 14ers.com for the Cascades, and SummitPost's coverage is spotty. Get the newest edition, since approaches change more quickly up there as things get overgrown. (And things only get worse if you head up into Canada...)

Start with Eldorado, a classic Cascades peak with a relatively humane approach and non-threatening glaciers. Goldman's "75 Scrambles in Washington" can be useful if you're looking for ideas. Another way to explore is to visit some of the many old fire lookouts, which come with convenient trails leading up out of the "green hell." Coming from CO and CA to WA in 2014, it took me awhile to get used to the Cascades' unfriendliness, e.g. spending the whole day in clouds and mist, getting a full-body soaking each morning from overnight dew. Since then, I've spent quite a bit of time there, which you can read about by clicking around the map on my site.

Anyways, I hope you get a chance to climb up there -- it's an amazing range, completely unique in the lower 48.
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Scott P wrote:
SuperPolok wrote:
Monster5 wrote: Beckey's guides aren't nearly as bad as Michael Kelsey's guidebooks though.
I've always thought of Kelsey's books as the outsider art of the guidebook world. I both love and hate them.
Personally, I have always liked his books.
Nothing says "Learn what you're doing before you try this" like Kelsey's hand-drawn maps of slot canyons and minimalist detail.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Don't know what peaks you're looking at, but we used "Selected Climbs in the Cascades" by Jim Nelson & Peter Potterfield for Mt. Hood, Eldorado Peak, Mt. Shuksan, Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Glacier Peak and Mt. Adams. Great photos with route information. Happy Trails! :-D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM