Hawaii versus Mexico

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Hawaii vs Mexico

Hawaii
56%
Mexico
44%

Total votes: 27
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Hawaii versus Mexico

Post by AnnaG22 »

Looking for some input here, both from folks who have been to either or both locations, and from folks looking at said locations.

If you had ~9 days available in early December, would you go to Mexico for Orizaba and potentially one or two other volcanoes and try to tack a beach day on the end of the trip OR would you head to Hawaii for Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa and more beach time/exploring? Both of these are extremely tempting to me, and my preliminary research shows the Hawaii trip as being slightly more expensive.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Hawaii versus Mexico

Post by Scott P »

As far as the peaks you list, I would choose Mexico, but only because Mauna Loa is a pretty boring mountain. I expected to see a towering volcano, but the slopes are so gentle that despite its relief, it looks like a small hill. There are more lovely places in Hawaii than Mauna Loa. Mauna Kea is OK, but it has a well used road to the top.

I'd look into places like Costa Rica as well. Costa Rica has similar scenery than much of Hawaii, but it has much more wildlife and is more interesting.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

These are nothing alike. Do you have additional criteria? Solo? Also, if you're finding Hawaii to be only slightly more expensive, then take advantage of the smokin' deal or figure out who in Mexico is ripping you off.

Agreed with Hawaii high peak hikes being relatively boring compared to other activities there.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

December sounds like a great time to hit up Argentina...not that I'm biased or anything
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but it's a little apples and oranges. As Scott says, if mountains are part of the consideration, there's not much comparison: Orizaba is a real (if somewhat short) expedition on a high, glaciated peak, while Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are...well, what Scott said. There's also the cultural aspect to consider: experiencing a different country, language, culture, cuisine, etc. a goal for this trip? As far as the more tropical-type attractions, I can't speak for Mexico there as I haven't spent any time in the Yucutan or other parts that are supposed to be good in that respect, but I will say that Hawaii is very nice and very interesting in that regard.

Generally speaking, can't go too wrong with either :)
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Monster5 wrote:These are nothing alike. Do you have additional criteria? Solo? Also, if you're finding Hawaii to be only slightly more expensive, then take advantage of the smokin' deal or figure out who in Mexico is ripping you off.

Agreed with Hawaii high peak hikes being relatively boring compared to other activities there.
Haha the similarity is "places I want to go." I do get that Hawaii is basically hiking, but essentially my criteria are a)mountains that have captivated my imagination and b) beach within reasonable reach. And knowing that in going to Mexico, mountains would be the primary focus whereas in Hawaii, mountains would be just one of many activities.
I'm trying to spend at least a couple months balancing type 1 and 2 fun; though I love me some type 2 fun, I've been gorging on it (at least for my skill level) lately. :roll: Mexico was my original plan, but beach time is tugging at my brain, so now I'm feeling indecisive.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:December sounds like a great time to hit up Argentina...not that I'm biased or anything
Haha I'm trying to set up a trip that is under 1 grand total. I'll get to Argentina eventually.

Alexey...I've been to Mexico before, just never that part. I've never been to Hawaii.

and general point, yes, I'm working on putting together a group whatever I choose, not planning to go solo.

AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

AnnaG22 wrote:Haha the similarity is "places I want to go." I do get that Hawaii is basically hiking, but essentially my criteria are a)mountains that have captivated my imagination and b) beach within reasonable reach. And knowing that in going to Mexico, mountains would be the primary focus whereas in Hawaii, mountains would be just one of many activities.
I'm trying to spend at least a couple months balancing type 1 and 2 fun; though I love me some type 2 fun, I've been gorging on it (at least for my skill level) lately. :roll: Mexico was my original plan, but beach time is tugging at my brain, so now I'm feeling indecisive.
If you do go with Hawaii, keep in mind that while the big island is great in many respects other than the volcanoes (like spectacular coastal cliffs, waterfalls, great snorkeling, etc.), it is generally not known for sandy beaches or surfing (being mostly lava). So, if "nice" beaches are what you're looking for, you may want to budget some time for either Maui or Kauai (there's another discussion on the relative merits of these 2).
Woodie Hopper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

I have done both trips (Mauna Kea actually but haven't gone up Mauna Loa although I plan to sometime in the near future). Both are great trips in very different ways. It kind of depends what you want. If cost is a factor checking out the Mexican volcanoes is definitely cheaper (I went unguided both times). You can also go to Teotihuacan while you're in the area, and there are a couple other higher volcanoes you could climb too.

At the time climbing Izta and Orizaba was more interesting for me (I enjoyed Izta much more than Orizaba). I did Mauna Kea as a trail run and that was pretty cool for different reasons (had it to myself, wasn't a hike, etc.). Beach & water things to do are fun as well.

For me the Mexican volcanoes made sense b/c I'd done Rainier and wanted to get a taste of higher altitude before deciding if South American climbing might be right for me (it was). Going to Hawaii was a bonus and a lower priority, but we've enjoyed our time there.

The good news is you can't lose either way!

Woodie
Last edited by Woodie Hopper on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodie Hopper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Also I definitely agree with Alexey- beaches are better elsewhere. There are good places to cycle (I haven't though), and visiting Volcanoes Nat'l Park is time well spent.
AnnaG22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

can anybody vouch for the beaches in Veracruz?

AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

AnnaG22 wrote:can anybody vouch for the beaches in Veracruz?
This is indeed where I went for R&R after Orizaba and...to be honest...my recollection of the beach situation was pretty meh (disclaimer: this was over 10 years ago). The coastline there is flat, and the beaches lined with resorts and condos. So, if you're comparing with that, Hawaii is definitely much more beautiful. However, I remember some pretty cool Mayan ruins in the areas around the city.