Fake everest climb

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Fake everest climb

Post by davebks »

Woah, first I have heard of this happening.
http://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/ ... erest-feat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Fake everest climb

Post by I Man »

Someone famously lied about climbing K2 in 2009 or 2010 as well.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

I Man wrote:Someone famously lied about climbing K2 in 2009 or 2010 as well.
"Dr." Jon?
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
"Dr." Jon?
Biggest takeaway from that incident (and definitely not the first of its kind) is make sure when you take a summit photo and post it that you meticulously photoshop every detail else you will get busted.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Spanish mountaineer Jorge Egocheaga claimed to have summited K2 solo on July 19, 2009, but later admitted that he had stopped 12m from the summit (see https://k2bottleneck.wordpress.com/2009 ... k2-summit/).

Austrian mountaineer Christian Stangl admitted that his claim to have reached the summit of K2 solo on August 10, 2010, was untrue (see
http://www.everestnews.com/stories2010/ ... 072010.htm and http://climbing.about.com/b/2010/09/10/ ... ascent.htm).
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

Wash Post reported this on 6/29. I saw it then, but forgot to post the link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... est-climb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I sometimes take a pic of my GPS coordinates. Not sure about Android, but iPhone photos can be geo-tagged. Should work without an available cell tower, but I haven't tested it to be sure.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Sad story, but this doesn't surprise me at all. Mountaineering hoaxes have been going on for over 100 years, beginning with Cook's claimed first ascent of Denali. David Roberts wrote a book about some of them in 2001 called Great Exploration Hoaxes. It's an interesting read.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mountaineering hoaxes have been going on for over 100 years, beginning with Cook's claimed first ascent of Denali.
True. What is also sad is that the likes of Cook et al actually did accomplish a lot. If Cook had been honest about his claims, he would have been honored today as one of the great explorers. Unfortunately, he made some false claims and that's what he is remembered for.

What is probably sadder than those who claim hoaxes is climbs that are genuine, but are still claimed as hoaxes.

There is a lot of evidence (but perhaps not proof beyond all doubt), for example, that Langford did make the first ascent of the Grand Teton and that Kinney did make the first ascent of Mount Robson. Both climbs were passed off as hoaxes, but there is a very good chance that they weren't.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Traveler
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Traveler »

Looks like they finally determined the couple was indeed faking it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08 ... st-photos/
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Clearly we need a summit register on Everest.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

The Great Camillo
Where ever you are... There you are.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

I read the entire article, and there is nothing in it about their motivation for fakery. I am not sure why anyone would fake climbing Everest. It has been done so many times, by so many people, that I cannot imagine how anyone would stand to gain financially from a run-of-the-mill Everest summitting. I suppose you might become famous in your hometown, but who on earth could live with knowing that the only reason you are "famous" is that everyone thinks you did something that you really didn't do?
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6