Mexico Safety

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mexico Safety

Post by I fall a lot »

Depends where you go, but 99% of the time you'll be completely safe.

For the real story on the drug war down there (graphic):

http://www.blogdelnarco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Upstate Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upstate Hiker »

I was in the Yucatan this year and had zero problems. We took local collectivos (a type of public transport) without issue. I grew up on the border and have been to Mexico 100s of times without anything bad ever happening. I have friends that spent the summer driving through the country, and they had a great time. I read the blog posted above and its pretty grizzly and not what I think of our neighbors to the South.
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I fall a lot wrote:Depends where you go, but 99% of the time you'll be completely safe.

For the real story on the drug war down there (graphic):

http://www.blogdelnarco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
es in el spanisho :D

I have been a couple of times in the last few years (Puerto Vallarta & Cabo San Lucas. Do your research about the area you are going. Maintain awareness, and listen to your spidy sense. There is some risk, but it is manageable. Heck we all go into the hills, and there is risk there to
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Just don't do any county highpoints around Juarez and you should be good.
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

For the record, I've been to Mexico well over one hundred times, conduct business there and have been ALL OVER the country, from the most remote places in Morelia, Oaxaca, the mountains near Durango, the hydro dam near Tepic, Veracruz, Aguascalientes, the old Colonial cities and towns, the jungles and mountains, the border cities and states, all over Mexico City and Guadalajara. You name it.

In 1975, we did a twelve thousand mile trip around Mexico and Guatemala in a VW bug, was robbed at gunpoint by banditos in Zacatecas, and by Federales near Z-wat. BTW, the banditos treated us better than the Federales. That was another time then, and if now, we would have been killed by either! :wink:

Granted, one could get robbed or killed almost anywhere here in the U.S. The former, I know this all too well. And in Mexico, it's an unfortunate everyday nightmare for many!

The people are great there but you have an inordinate amount of corruption and drug murders happening all over the country.

Sometimes, full buses are stopped and people are ordered outside and are robbed, beaten and murdered... on a whim. You don't hear about this much on this side of the border.

When I deliver apparatus to Mexico, we NEVER park within sixty miles plus of the Laredo border! Absolutely never get close to it unless it's an in and out delivery. No more overnite parking within sixty miles of the border like we used to do!

Mexico has always been 'another world', a beautiful country with wonderful people.

Times have changed... big time.

BTW, if you haven't seen 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre', John Huston's magnificent film shot entirely in Mexico, see it! It's a gem!

Good luck on your travels in Mexico!
AlpineDude
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AlpineDude »

Beware - SurfNTurf and Wildlobo71 drank all the beer in Mexico. It might take a month before authorities can replenish their stock of Corona and Pacifico.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

AlpineDude wrote:Beware - SurfNTurf and Wildlobo71 drank all the beer in Mexico. It might take a month before authorities can replenish their stock of Corona and Pacifico.
I left plenty of that Victoria bullcrap though, mostly because it was only 4% ABV.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

I would say that safety isn't as bad down there as many people seem to think. To and from Puebla with a local and reputable taxi service would be fine I think. On our big trip we went a little on the cowboy side and things did get dicey a few times, we definitely could have used more caution. All in all it was a great adventure though, and that is kind of the point for me anyway. See below video. There is also an article about our trip in the latest issue of The Ski Journal.

http://vimeo.com/20009345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skerryjones
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skerryjones »

Has anyone heard what conditions are like around Ixta and the small climber's hostel there? I was there in 2004 and it was fine, but I've wondered about how it is now.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Y Senor Rey De la Bebida, donde esta su informe de la campana a que usted promete?
Estamos esperando.
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

skerryjones wrote:Has anyone heard what conditions are like around Ixta and the small climber's hostel there? I was there in 2004 and it was fine, but I've wondered about how it is now.
Skerry, it was fine, actually desolate, when we where there two years ago in November. Not another a person in sight outside of our crew. Felt safe, though someone did siphon our gas (no joke). Everything else was in good shape though. It did take a while to find someone at the local "ranger office" (I use that term loosely) to issue us a permit, but that was expected. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skerryjones
14ers: 54  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skerryjones »

Good to know, thanks for the update !