Anyone hiked in Iceland? Need help

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Anyone hiked in Iceland? Need help

Post by somethingrandom »

Hey all-

I am headed to Iceland in a couple weeks and would love to get some amazing hiking/climbing in but the info is quite sparse.

It looks like there are a couple companies that do guided routes up Hvannadalshnúkur (highest point) but the info, even on SP is limited to say the least and it looks like the main guide company charges a FORTUNE for it ($700-800USD for a day).

Anyone been climbing in the country or have any info on it you can share?

Thanks a ton!

Brian
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
teedublya
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Anyone hiked in Iceland? Need help

Post by teedublya »

It might be too early in the year for it but I thought the laugarvegur trek was pretty amazing. It goes from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Hey Teedub, are you Tiger Woods? Just curious.
ules2025
14ers: 43  6 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ules2025 »

I've been to Iceland three times over the past few years. For Hvannadalshnúkur, I've had good success with the Icelandic Mountain Guides. They charge about 27000 krona for a climb, which is cheaper than most. It's a difficult mountain to solo, given all the crevasses.

Check this out: http://www.mountainguides.is/DayTours/MountainClimbing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've done some cool hikes in the interior, near Askja. To get there, you can fly to Akureyri or take a bus/rental car along the Ring Road. AMAZING scenery! Not many people check out the eastern and interior parts of the island, so I would definitely recommend it.

You can PM me at ules2025@gmail.com, if you want to talk more.

best wishes!