Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Nanga Parbat Climbers Killed by Taliban

Post by Scott P »

But I can promise you there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people that want you dead just because you're not a Muslim...and an American.
I don't know what the number would be. Certainly a lot.

The majority Muslims do like Americans though. The vast majority of the ones that don't live in parts of Pakistan, Afghanistan, North Africa, and the Middle East. The areas where most Muslims live overall have a really positive outlook on Americans.

We should stop arming countries that support terrorism (actually I can't see protecting most of the Middle East countries), though this probably doesn't belong on the main forum.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

There are better places in the world to go climbing then over there.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Scott P wrote:
But I can promise you there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people that want you dead just because you're not a Muslim...and an American.
I don't know what the number would be. Certainly a lot.

The majority Muslims do like Americans though. The vast majority of the ones that don't live in parts of Pakistan, Afghanistan, North Africa, and the Middle East. The areas where most Muslims live overall have a really positive outlook on Americans.

We should stop arming countries that support terrorism (actually I can't see protecting most of the Middle East countries), though this probably doesn't belong on the main forum.

I agree, most Muslims are fine people. Regular folks like you and I.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Somewhat of a prick wrote:But I can promise you there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people that want you dead just because you're not a Muslim...and an American.
Not sure what that number really is, but I hope you're not happy about that like RamanDestroyer is.
Somewhat of a prick wrote:
jomagam wrote: And having a weapon doesn't mean that you're safe.
Certainly increases my odds, wouldn't you say?
Any mountain that requires sleeping with an AK-47 under your pillow is not worth climbing. Imagine how uncomfortable your sleep would be :)
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I agree, most Muslims are fine people. Regular folks like you and I.
Yes.

Most of them (outside Pakistan it is an exception) live in the tropical countries rainforest as well.

Many Americans associate camels and desert where most Muslims live, but in reality they should think elephants and jungle as being much more common where Muslims live.

Basically, and although a generalization, the farther away from Israel, the more positive outlook a Muslim has on America.

More or less, this is what many Muslims actually look like (the non white guys in the photos):
Attachments
m3.jpg
m3.jpg (164.21 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
m2.jpg
m2.jpg (213.83 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
m.jpg
m.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

And yes the Taliban is evil. Maybe we shouldn't have armed and supported them in the first place. The US used to be their biggest supporters, even though they were still blood thirsty terrorist back then.
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

jomagam wrote:But I can promise you there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people that want you dead just because you're not a Muslim...and an American.
Not sure what that number really is, but I hope you're not happy about that like RamanDestroyer is.
Neither of us are happy about that. I find it incredibly sad that so many people have their brains shackled in the Stone Age.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Scott P wrote: Most of them (outside Pakistan it is an exception) live in the tropical rainforest as well.

Many Americans associate camels and desert where most Muslims live, but in reality they should think elephants and jungle as being much more common where Muslims live.

Basically, and although a generalization, the farther away from Israel, the more positive outlook a Muslim has on America.

More or less, this is what most Muslims actually look like
Is this some high level sarcasm that is over my head or are you really super over generalizing the 1.8 billion Muslims ? You're talking about Muslims as if they were an exotic species of bird in a David Attenborough documentary. Creepy. Sorry if I missed your joke.
Somewhat of a Prick
Trip Reports (17)

jomagam wrote:
Scott P wrote: Most of them (outside Pakistan it is an exception) live in the tropical rainforest as well.

More or less, this is what most Muslims actually look like
Is this some high level sarcasm that is over my head or are you really super over generalizing the 1.8 billion Muslims ? You're talking about Muslims as if they were an exotic species of bird in a David Attenborough documentary. Creepy. Sorry if I missed your joke.

His post was fine, and spot on. You just need to go for a walk, have a beer, and calm down.
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

jomagam wrote:
Any mountain that requires sleeping with an AK-47 under your pillow is not worth climbing.
There are a few mountains that you might want to have a gun along on (i.e. Baffin Island) to deal with polar bears, etc... But, overall I agree.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Is this some high level sarcasm that is over my head or are you really super over generalizing the 1.8 billion Muslims ?
More Muslims live in the forest of Southeast Asia than anywhere else, not in the desert. That was the point. Obviously they don't all look alike, but they are certainly more likely to look like the above than an Arab riding a camel (which is how they are often portrayed as in the West). Obviously you missed the point.
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

GeorgiaTyler wrote:Not to get in the middle of this, but my post (directing you to mountainproject.com) added a little more insight to the situation, check it out... The deceased were practicing a hindu religious service (puja)in a very non tolerant part of Pakistan (and flying a Nepalese flag). There were other climbers around and they were the ones gunned down. In my opinion, this was the contributing factor that lead to the outcome and not U.S drone attacks. Once again, nobody knows but that does make more sense (to me) than attacking random people that have nothing to do with US policy.
Fair point, but in this case and in the case of Pujas performed in the higher mountains of Nepal, Pujas are generally Buddhist- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puja_%28Buddhism%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;