Killian Jornet rescued from Aguille du Midi

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Killian Jornet rescued from Aguille du Midi

Post by tlongpine »

Hobnobber wrote:Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?
=D>
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

A nice little follow up from a climbers perspective posted here on the Rock and Ice site:

http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/th ... a-ruckasck
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Jeff,
Thanks for the OP and the follow up. I find myself scratching my head more than before. Ice axes, ice screws, no crampons or compatible shoes trail for the standard ice route? Additionally, Cliffed out due to weather, conditions have them call for rescue, rescuers can't fly due to same weather and must come from the top in the same weather they can't travel in, carry all the warm clothing and beverages they elected not to carry and the best she could come up with was....

"I wish they could have given me an ETA"

*sigh*
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

Maybe I missed something in the discussions of KJ's FKT of the Matterhorn. While he may be the finest endurance athelete currently in the world, his "climb" of the Matterhorn using fixed ropes up and down and getting water or gels(?) and other gear from a support crew to travel light, should not be compared with the Matterhorn climbs of Steck, Bonatti, and probably many other climbers I am probably not aware of. Mentally and physically, what Steck did on the Matterhorn in an incredibly short time of a few hours, is much more difficult and dangerous than KJ's trip. Technically, KJ's ascent and descent are the fastest. Is what he did climbing as I appreciate and understand the term from my own experience, I think not.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

In my opinion, comparing KJ's time on the Matterhorn vs. Steck is comparing apples and oranges (and I think KJ and just about everyone else is aware of that). Killian's intent was putting in an effort on the same route and in the same style as previous record holder, Bruno Brunod. From my recollections, I think Killian utilized any fixed ropes, ladders etc... on the route that any others might use travelling that route, but I don't recall him having any additional support in place, aside from Alpine Rescue who were watching along the route and on standby just in case anything happened. I would also be surprised if anybody were out there handing him supplies, as I don't think he would need any for a sub 3 hour effort (given that he set the Denali FKT only eating one gel and drinking a half liter of water). I know he carried a windbreaker, at least for some of it, but not sure if he handed that off somewhere, but that would be splitting hairs. Killian, Steck and Honnold each have their own specific niche and I don't think any of the 3 compare themselves to one another. Regardless, they are all pretty bad ass in their own way.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

gzrrnnr wrote:Maybe I missed something in the discussions of KJ's FKT of the Matterhorn. While he may be the finest endurance athelete currently in the world, his "climb" of the Matterhorn using fixed ropes up and down and getting water or gels(?) and other gear from a support crew to travel light, should not be compared with the Matterhorn climbs of Steck, Bonatti, and probably many other climbers I am probably not aware of. Mentally and physically, what Steck did on the Matterhorn in an incredibly short time of a few hours, is much more difficult and dangerous than KJ's trip. Technically, KJ's ascent and descent are the fastest. Is what he did climbing as I appreciate and understand the term from my own experience, I think not.
Do you know about his solo, unsupported, FKT round trip on Denali where he specifically picked a route that would avoid being near other people, so as to make it even more "solo"? An FKT in which he went round trip faster than the previous even got to the summit? Or as far as I can see on Facebook, every day in winter, his solo exploits in ski mountaineering in the alps? Steck even said on the subject (paraphrasing) "imagine what I could do if I had Kilian's physique."

Enough of this armchair mountaineering. :roll:
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

gzrrnnr wrote:Technically, KJ's ascent and descent are the fastest. Is what he did climbing as I appreciate and understand the term from my own experience, I think not.
Ha!
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

An old-school survival tale more to my liking... :)

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/1 ... 8-degrees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

Jeff Valliere wrote: Killian, Steck and Honnold each have their own specific niche and I don't think any of the 3 compare themselves to one another. Regardless, they are all pretty bad ass in their own way.
<-- I've had a picture in my head of an Expendables movie starring KJ, US, and AH...
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com