Baja

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Baja

Post by tlongpine »

Headed to Baja Sur at the end of March and I'm really struggling to find online resources re: hiking/trail running in the Sierra de la Leguna. Most of what I've been able to find are vague descriptions on old websites. No GPS tracks, or TH locations, maps, etc.

(Even Runner's World was guilty of this, describing a great coastal foothills trail-run near Todos Santos, but not providing any context clues to TH or location aside from "90 minutes north of Cabo.")

I know it's a far departure from the intended knowledge of this community, but I'm hoping someone here has been to Baja Sur and make recommendations.

I know there isn't much of a trail system - mostly 4WD roads and washes/arroyos, but if anyone knows of something better, please let me know. Thanks!
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Smokey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 82 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Baja

Post by Smokey »

I was down that way about 10 years ago and brought all my back country stuff...and never used it. I did use the tent a lot for beach camping in the todos santos area. I was told my many locals that it is a very bad idea for a gringo to head up into the mountains alone or in a group for that matter. There are bad people up there doing things that if you saw, you would never be seen again. Not to mention the thick cactus forest they have done there and almost no trails. If you are down there rest your knees and hit the surf camps on the coast and leave the hills to the local growers. Have a blast, Baja was the best 6 weeks ever!
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

I met some folks in Todos Santos who invited me to hike and camp in the Laguna Sierra. I didn't get to go, but I got the impression they go regularly. They pointed to the highest peak visible east of T.S. I believe it's a state or nat'l park with improved trails and campgrounds. Beautiful mountains. Can't help with details but I'm sure many folks in T.S. can put you on your way.
-km
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Here's some info:
http://www.peakbagging.com/BajaPhotos/LaLaguna.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-km
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Smokey wrote:I was down that way about 10 years ago and brought all my back country stuff...and never used it. I did use the tent a lot for beach camping in the todos santos area. I was told my many locals that it is a very bad idea for a gringo to head up into the mountains alone or in a group for that matter. There are bad people up there doing things that if you saw, you would never be seen again. Not to mention the thick cactus forest they have done there and almost no trails. If you are down there rest your knees and hit the surf camps on the coast and leave the hills to the local growers. Have a blast, Baja was the best 6 weeks ever!
The Sierra are a cloud forest, isolated above the desert surrounding. I've done thru-treks on Jeep roads, but never explored it deeper. I've seen illustrations of trails systems (here, for example: http://www.summitpost.org/hiking-trails ... una/565351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but never anything very precise.

I've heard the same concerns from locals who would rather gringos stick around town and spend money in the tourist trap that is Cabo, but it's a safer place than most people think.

That said, this thread is about trail beta. Who has some?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Kent McLemore wrote:Here's some info:
http://www.peakbagging.com/BajaPhotos/LaLaguna.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Kent!