Patagonia trip

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Patagonia trip

Post by nyker »

fleetmack wrote:Thinking of heading down to Patagonia in March for 10 days or so. Pretty ignorant on the entire area. For those of you who have been there:

1) What would you do if you had 8-10 days in Patagonia?
2) Lodging options? (camp vs. cheap hotel vs. luxury hotel)
3) Anything else you can think of, as I said, I'm quite ignorant here and am just starting the education process...
Sounds fun! Patagonia is an awesome place.

Assuming your 8-10 days mean once you're there (Calafate/Chalen/Punta Arenas, etc) -as mentioned, it takes a while to GET there and Back from the US; I don't have a map handy, but with that timeframe you might be able to do all three of the below items, though might have enough time for the Glacier.

1. W Circuit around Torres del Paine - (a bit shorter than the Full Circuit, but hits all the same main highlights and is ideal for shorter trips): do it backpacking, either camping or staying in one of the refugios if you can get a spot (rent a tent to save on packing weight while traveling).

2. Fitz Roy/Chalten: The mini hiking circuit (one long day) up to Fitz Roy (stay in Chalten) - I hear the road is paved now which will make driving a better transport option.

3. Perito Merino Glacier is a must see in my opinion and if you have a day, spend it trekking on the glacier (you can rent homemade crampons to save on packing weight).

Bring rain gear that actually works and extra waterproof sacks for stuff for stuff in your pack you don't want wet. It can also get freakishly windy there, so be prepared for that and generally bad weather.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Patagonia trip

Post by fleetmack »

First off - thanks for all the info. We are really limited on time here so are going to try to minimize our down time and such. We are going to go with:

Perito Moreno Glacier
Upsala Glacier
Los Glaciaries & Fitz Roy
Viedma Glacier

This should be doable in 8-10 days with some tent time, some hotel time, and some campground time. We plan on coming back later in life for a longer tour (including Torres del Paine), but this will more than satisfy us for now!

Thanks again, everyone!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor