Everest Wingsuit Jump

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Everest Wingsuit Jump

Post by jdorje »

I think you just used way too much science to explain that terminal velocity rises as you leave the atmosphere.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

he won't be the first.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mount-e ... f-19278331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by GerryRigged »

From the looks in the video he did not jump off the summit. The narrator mentions almost in passing he was at around 24,000 ft.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

jdorje wrote:I think you just used way too much science to explain that terminal velocity rises as you leave the atmosphere.
Well, 29,000' is still pretty close to the earth. A common number used by the scientific community for Re-entry Altitude is 91,440 meters ASL. So it's much closer to sea level than it is to space. So it would be more correct to say that terminal velocity increases as air density decreases. Perhaps just a poor choice of words on your part.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

GerryRigged wrote:From the looks in the video he did not jump off the summit. The narrator mentions almost in passing he was at around 24,000 ft.
Right, that jump was from 24,000' off the north face. Joby intends to jump off the summit and (I assume) down the steep southwest face and back to base camp.
climber with a k
14ers: 13  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climber with a k »

What I gather from an NPR interview is that he'll first use a modern parachute which he will then ditch at a predetermined altitude and finish the descent via the wing suit.
Any day in the mountains from which you come home tired, dirty, hungry, thirsty, with a little too much sun and in one piece is nothing short of perfect.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

This is going to be awesome, I wish Joby the best of luck, and can't wait to watch him fly down the mountain.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

he will also not be listening to dubstep with that awesome break, as the animation on his site would make you believe. and c'mon bottled o's?
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

dsunwall wrote:he won't be the first.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/mount-e ... f-19278331" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, yeah, but that wasn't an American, so it doesn't really count. And his wing suit was huge, totally cheating, and 24,000 feet isn't the top. Russians use the metric system and must have got confused trying to convert meters to 29,000 feet. His bad. This record will be ours. That, or else the terrorist will win. God Speed.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Sounds like this descent will save a lot of wear and tear on his knees.
I could see this becoming a popular way to descend some of the 14ers.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Almost every time I'm on top of a mountain looking down I have exactly that thought...
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Cancelled due to Everest tragedy:
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/p ... e-tragedy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9