Everest Wingsuit Jump

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
awon2zip
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Everest Wingsuit Jump

Post by awon2zip »

Joby Ogwyn will attempt to jump off Mount Everest with a wingsuit live on the Discovery Channel. There isn't an official date yet. All we know is that it will be in May. Thoughts on this?

Here's the website:
http://everestjumplive.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a New York Post article
http://nypost.com/2014/03/31/one-mans-q ... n-live-tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If the mountain defeats you, will you risk a more dangerous road?"
Saruman The White
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Everest Wingsuit Jump

Post by Dave B »

NY Post wrote:So how do you up the adrenaline factor when you’ve already climbed to the top of the world?
:barf:
Make wilderness less accessible.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Ole Joby...steppin' up the game. I hope it is actually successful as it would be so sweet to see his point of view video. But, so many factors have to be working properly and align perfectly in order for him to be able to make that leap. I'm sure he's taking it one day at a time hoping for a successful end. Its funny that the Discover Channel is promoting this as a "sure thing" in May. Nothing is ever "for sure" up there especially leaping off the summit. Joby is a good dude and a fellow southerner - we hung with him a lot at EBC in 2010.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I wonder what mods they had to make to his wingsuit to get his balls to fit... :shock:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Any thoughts on this? Hmmm, well let's see. Besides the usual risks of AMS, cerebral edema, frostbite, hypothermia, extreme fatigue, exposure, crevasses, avalanches, rogue air currents, and other various ways to die, I wonder what effect air density will have on his flight suit, being a 1/3 the density compared to sea level. That could impact the needed lift to keep him away from the rocks. Probably shouldn't have said "impact".
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Hope it goes well. I don't think it will. :(
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

But if he has to wear a flight suit, how will Discovery turn this into an episode of Naked and Afraid?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I was thinking about air density, too, so was surprised to read that he is using a suit that is SMALLER than a standard wing suit- but then again, I don't really know anything about the sport, other than having seen numerous videos of it....
jdorje
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

But, gravity is also lower, since he's farther from the center of the earth!
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Future Everest climbers will know him as the off-route cairn with the wingsuit and giant balls.

I hope it goes well, but the story reads like the beginning of a bad joke with a predictable punch line.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

jdorje wrote:But, gravity is also lower, since he's farther from the center of the earth!
And he will also be flying in much warmer air since heat rises. :lol:
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
ChrisRoberts
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

The decrease in air density will decrease his Reynolds number, which would make his flight less turbulent. That's good for a stability standpoint, but not from a pressure drag standpoint. He'll be going significantly faster at the end of his flight than he would if starting at more conventional altitudes. The smaller suit would decrease his skin drag but it would be marginal compared to his total drag. I don't know much about the suits, maybe there's a reason he's going smaller?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!