Peru or Bolivia - June/July 2014

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Peru or Bolivia - June/July 2014

Post by shredthegnar10 »

I am looking for partners for a trip to Peru or Bolivia this summer. I haven't really researched the peaks or routes that much yet; I want to see if anyone else is interested first -- but at this point I'm probably mostly looking at PD/AD routes. I could probably be convinced to do something rated D (i.e. sustained climbing on snow/glaciers steeper than 55 degrees) with the right partner/group. Probably looking at spending about two weeks there, possibly up to three if I can take that much time off.
Just trying to gauge interest and explore options at this point.

Side note: I'm also looking at doing some climbs in the North Cascades this summer, so if you're interested in that, let me know also.
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Peru or Bolivia - June/July 2014

Post by Scott P »

Be aware that due to El Niño, conditions might be bad this year. It is predicted that Southern Peru will be very dry with drought, while northern Peru could have flooding.

The Blanca and Huayuash could have especially bad conditions. Certainly go anyway, but keep this in mind while planning.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Hey Shred I have never been to Peru and I hear great things about it but Bolivia absolutely blew my mind when I was down there. It was one of the coolest places I have ever been and would love to go back. We climbed 2 peaks down there. PM me if you have any questions
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Amy - Good to see you planning another trip!!
I cannot say enough good things about Peru, the people, the atmosphere and did I mention...the climbing!!!
The Peruvian Andes are huge pyramids and snow and ice towering well above 6000m. The trip is fairly low cost and easy access to some of the best alpine climbing in the world. I highly recommend you go to Peru. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. my team spent 3+ weeks in the Cordillera Blanca last July and made it up 3 peaks.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I just bought my ticket for the Cordillera, I'll be there for most of July. Most of my days are already scheduled but let me know what you end up doing, I might be down for something. I really want Alpamayo but I'm going to see how other stuff goes first.
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

MyFeetHurt wrote:I just bought my ticket for the Cordillera, I'll be there for most of July. Most of my days are already scheduled but let me know what you end up doing, I might be down for something. I really want Alpamayo but I'm going to see how other stuff goes first.
July is the perfect time to go. Its crazy how settled the weather can be. I highly recommend Alpayamyo, as it is amazing and deserving of its reputation. my only advice would be get on the route early...like very early. Climb it in the dark. You'll be glad you did. Good luck! 8)
Attachments
Alpamayo Late July 2013
Alpamayo Late July 2013
946691_10153058168825475_1190852423_n.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Last edited by I Man on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The Peruvian Andes are huge pyramids and snow and ice towering well above 6000m.
Some of them certainly are. The Peruvian Andes have about every kind of mountain, from towering volcanoes (some of which are very active and among the world's highest active volcanoes) rising out of some of the world's driest deserts, 6000 meter peaks with no snow on them, towering ice pyramids, huge rock faces, and some of the wettest and thickest jungle mountains. There is lots of variety in the Peruvian Andes and just about every mountain type there is.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swampthing »

I've been drooling over the Cordillera for years. Will you be staying in Huaraz or somewhere else between climbs? I hear it's pricey (for Peru) but really cool. I certainly hope you have a successful, safe, and unforgettable trip!
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Since the Cordillera Blanca is getting all the love here :wink: (the Blanca is definitely a place I want to climb someday too), I'll speak up for the Cordillera Real in Bolivia. I'm planning on climbing 4 peaks there Summer 2015. One nice thing is that guided climbs in Bolivia are less expensive than Peru, plus you fly to La Paz which is at 13,000' and you're just a couple of hours from the peaks. In Peru you have to do the 8hr bus ride from Lima to Huaraz.

Planning on climbing the 4 peaks below.
Attachments
Boliva 4 peaks .jpg
Boliva 4 peaks .jpg (158.67 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Flights from Denver to Lima in the summer are usually around $1100. Lima is not a desirable place, IMO, but it is cool to spend a night there. The bus ride is indeed 8 hours long, costs roughly $15 and is very cozy, complete with comfortable chairs, movies, bathroom and meals. I think I even had a few beers on the way back. The permit for Huascaran National Park is only $25 and covers you for up to a month of climbing.
The infrastructure in Huarez for climbing is abundant and the city itself is a great place to spend some time. I look forward to taking an extended trip down there in the near future. My group used mostly Taxi's to get from Huarez to the TH and this was usually around $20 a person each way, though we did use Collectivos once and though it is less direct it is pretty much free. If you choose to hire Donkeys and a driver for getting gear to basecamp that will cost you about $25 dollars a day for the whole team. Point is this trip is CHEAP for what it is.

Also, the highest most interesting mountain in the Western Hemisphere is in Peru, Huascaran Sur at 22,205ft/6768m. I cannot say enough good things about this climb. The mountains Jed linked look pretty awesome, too. Whatever you do, go climb in the Andes!!

Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Flights from Denver to Lima in the summer are usually around $1100.
I recently got mine for $500 round trip to Lima ($600 round trip to Arequipa), but I got lucky.

Right now for July on some of the dates it's $794 on Spirit Airlines round trip Denver to Lima, connecting one stop through Fort Lauderdale. Usually the low fares don't last that long though.

Anyway, since people are plugging for the Blanca and Real, don't forget about the Huayuash:

The mountains there are even more rugged than the Blanca and much less visited. It's also not far from Huaraz. One reason it's less popular is because there are few peaks for beginners.

No matter which area you choose though, you should have a good trip.
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Scott P wrote:
Flights from Denver to Lima in the summer are usually around $1100.
I recently got mine for $500 round trip to Lima ($600 round trip to Arequipa), but I got lucky.

Right now for July on some of the dates it's $794 on Spirit Airlines round trip Denver to Lima, connecting one stop through Fort Lauderdale. Usually the low fares don't last that long though.
The Spirit Airlines flights are always about $700 but they charge you for everything including your carry on bag. By the time you spend an extra $300 in baggage fees and risk losing your luggage you'll wish you hadn't chose a budget airline haha.