Mont Blanc Qs

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cmohseni
Trip Reports (1)

Mont Blanc Qs

Post by cmohseni »

Hey all

So I am planning on climbing Mont Blanc this summer up the standard Gouter route.
Currently I do not have any partners and do not want(nor can really afford) a guide.
So my questions are these, has anyone solo the gouter route before? I realize there is always an assumed risk to traveling solo on glacier, but I guess my question is what is the crevasse danger on this particular route like?
It will be a two day climb, on June 8th and 9th, weather permitting of course. Obviously this is still pretty early in the season, so is there still going to be a lot of traffic at this time of year, or does that not roll around till august?
And if anyone here is interested in meeting me there and teaming up to make this happen, drop me a line!
Any other general info (huts, logistics, ect.) and trip reports are welcome.

Thanks Much!
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Mont Blanc Qs

Post by Alby426 »

Pm sent :0)
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

I have spent a great deal of time in Chamonix of the years and all I can tell you it will be pretty busy that time of year, it really starts getting busy at the beginning of May.
canuckcowboy
14ers: 28 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by canuckcowboy »

I'll be in the area that week, but will be doing a thruhike of Tour du Mont Blanc. I will PM you as my schedule comes together to see if my buddies are planning to add on the summit, which generally is not included on the thruhike.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- The great one, Wayne Gretzky
"Homer no function beer well without" - Homer Simpson
"I can ride my bike with no handlebars" - Flobots
13ers
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 13ers »

I soloed the Gouter two years ago. I would be happy to share info with you. Feel free to send me a PM, I will try to stay on the lookout. :-D
Will belay for free.
cmohseni
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cmohseni »

Thank you all so much for the responses and helpful info. Will shoot out some PMs here shortly. :D
CampoVail
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CampoVail »

cmohseni I would say that it is doable solo but you should try and find a partner through here or a UK based similar style website. I'm sure that there are plenty of capable folk in a similar position. I traversed Mont Blanc and took in the summits of Maudit and Tacul. Camped a 2nd night on the Midi glacier then did the Cosmic arête to get you at the cable car station. If you have time, that would be a very memorable jaunt at a lower grade level. The Valley Blanche is well worth the extra effort. Expect a Conga line up a well worn trench to the summit of the Blanc and tricky bergschrunds on the Tacul descent. Oh and I did the Grand couloir up and that was dicey, not recommended. Enjoy the Alps Chamonix and Argentiere are the bomb. Bon Voyage !
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I hiked the Goutier route without partners in 1996 and 2009. It's reasonable to climb unroped, although you won't be alone in the summer season. No significant crevasse fall potential, although there is some rock fall risk between the tete rouse hut and the Goutier hut. I recommend sating at tete rousers the Goutier is very crowded.

G
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Can anyone shed some light on how getting hut reservations for Gouter or Cosmiques huts works?

For Gouter - The main page says it will be open in 3 increments, 4/29 being first at 9:30 am, but then underneath it says May 2nd at 2:30 and then under that, it says 4/29 at 2:30. And then on the FAQs it says you can't book until 30 days out. Kinda confusing

http://refugedugouter.ffcam.fr/index.ph ... rset=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Cosmiques - is the only option to call the hut?