Kilimanjaro - "14er People" Help Needed

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Kilimanjaro - "14er People" Help Needed

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

My wife has taken the initiative that she wants to climb Kilimanjaro! Over the years this is now the third time we've started planning only to get derailed in the past. This time however she seems very resolved and committed to going! Awesome!

Anyway, she asked me to "ask your 14er people" what is the best guide service to use? She initially looked up "Climbing Kilimanjaro.com" Looks like a great website, but is it a good operator? Certainly there are many others. Who can recommend a good one, and bad ones to stay away from? Thanks in advance. Any other useful tips appreciated. We look to go in September.

Thanks again.

Pete
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Pops921
14ers: 37 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kilimanjaro - "14er People" Help Needed

Post by Pops921 »

I used Wilderness Travel. They have a local guide company that exclusively works for them, I don't remember the name. Wilderness Travel caters to the higher end adventure market. I have done four trips with them. They will probably be the most expensive. They are more expensive for several reasons. WT takes Lemosho /Western Breach route, the Western Breach requires a special certification for the porters, they will spend longer on the mountain (taking a full rest/acclimatization day at 15,000'), the guide/porter ration to clients is about 10/1, they will ferry fresh foods up the mountain throughout the hike. These are same people that one of the major networks hired when they tried it. If you don't mind spending the extra bucks, I highly recommend them.

They route through the Western Breach involves some easy scrambling (easy class 3 or hard class 2), it is a blast. You spend the night before summit day in the crater, with an opportunity to take a side hike to the cinder cone.

The extra time on the mountain drives both cost and success rate, our guide had a 98% success rate. Spend some time looking at the route you want to take. The shorter routes can save you time and money, but reduce your chance of success.

Most of the companies will offer a photo Safari afterwards, it is worth it.
Not as young as I once was and not as old as I want to be.
Tim Edinger
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Tim Edinger »

I am a "14er person," and I climbed Kili last August. I used the Climb Kili guide service and we went on the Machame Route. I would recommend both the route and the guide service, based on my experience. I thought I git good value for money. I was solo and joined a group of 5 others - I was the only male, which was "different." Guys tend to talk about different things in the mess tent at night, compared to girls. Not bad - just different. I was also the oldest at 56. We had two groups of 6 for a total of 12 with our guide service. 2 people failed to summit. I was first from the group at 6:47 AM - the last gal topped out at 11:15 AM. It was just a walk up. Baranco Wall (locals call it breakfast wall because you attack it after breakfast) is the only class 3 climbing you will do on that route. Everything else is class 2. Just a slog, really. Nothing to it if you like to trek and give yourself time to acclimate to the elevation.
WarDamnPanic
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

My wife and I used Marangu Hotel and were very pleased, one of the cheaper outfits when I was looking around, but also one of the oldest and used many times by the CMC.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

Good luck with the planning, that is the most difficult part imho.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hi, I just got back from Kili in March. The owner of the company (Nickson) that took us is now a good friend and is visiting from Africa. We didn't do business with him directly however, it was through the company Mountain-Vision in Boulder run by Jeff and Merry-Beth Evans. You may have heard of Eric Weihenmayer, the first blind person to climb Mt. Everest. Well, Jeff is the guy who hikes with him and helps guide him.

I thought they were a great company, and they were not expensive with the pricing at all, although we did not do the Western Breach route (which I think would have been fun! We did the Machame route). I was amazed to be eating Watermelon up at Base camp, but felt a little guilty that some poor guy had hiked all the way down and back to bring it up!

Also the Safari was great. My favorite part was the tented camp we stayed in near the Serengeti, this one in particular is one that only works with Nickson's company, however, other companies must have the same kind of setup with other similar camps. We definitely liked the more personal tented camp than the big lodges which were beautiful but were basically like nice hotels, but just didn't have that same personal feeling.

However, no matter what company you take I think a big part of your experience is just determined by your luck of the draw and what guide you get. Some guides are clearly better than others and you just never know what you will get. We liked our Kili guides, and they did a great job, but then on the safari we had the most amazing guide we could have hoped for.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Pops921 wrote: they will ferry fresh foods up the mountain throughout the hike.
Ahhh why don't you just have them carry you up there as well. Thats cool to have fresh food and all, but I just don't get it... Do you want to mountain climb or have a spa day?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

I climbed last October and used Ultimate Kilimanjaro. I thought they were phenomenal. We did a private tour and took 5 people. There was a support staff of 20, including guides, porters, cooks, re-stockers, etc. It didn't cost any extra for the private group. We did the Lemosho route which I loved - if you do it definitely take the side trip up Lava Tower - one of the highlights of the trip. There are 100s of guide services and you will probably get endless recommendations. I haven't heard of any negative reviews of anyone yet.
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

My wife and I climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago (September) and also used Ultimate Kilimanjaro. They are a U.S. Company but they contract the tour to Zara Tours (at least they did when we climbed it). We were VERY happy with their service and would recommend them! Also, they are not near as expensive as other companies. We met some Canadian ladies who we're hiking the same route and days as us. They paid much more for their climb and I can honestly say that their experience was no different than ours. We climbed via the 8-day Lemosha Route and had an amazing time! Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be an amazing experience! Make sure to add a safari afterwards. The Serengeti is the most amazing place I have ever seen! You can book that through Ultimate Kilimanjaro too. Below is a link with some of our photos of our climb, if you're interested...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 94a2309e37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, the link for Ultimate Kilimanjro: http://www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you click on testamonials at the bottom, the 2nd one listed is ours...
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
WarDamnPanic
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

jmanner wrote:
Ahhh why don't you just have them carry you up there as well. Thats cool to have fresh food and all, but I just don't get it... Do you want to mountain climb or have a spa day?
The charm of Kilimanjaro for me was getting to know the porters and guides, learning a lot about the Tanzanian culture and for us it was a vacation. So the fresh cooked meals, hot tea, and the amenities that comes with guides and porters were very enjoyable and welcomed. I did not want a sufferfest that can be attained on other mountains.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Billy the Kid wrote:My wife and I climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago (September) and also used Ultimate Kilimanjaro. They are a U.S. Company but they contract the tour to Zara Tours
Yes, they still contract out through Zara. The gear was all very good and the food was great. How can you beat a warm popcorn afternoon snack on top of a mountain? We also did the 8 day Lemosho route but cut it down to 7 days in the middle of the hike because we were going at a relatively fast pace. All five of us summited.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

jmanner wrote:
I mean, Killamanjaro is pretty much like this. You are required to have a guide and there are all sorts of rules and regulations involved. Have you looked at the typical way people are climing KJ? Some of the places ofter "light" or "super-light" climbs that cost less and have less porters, but they still aren't cheap climbs.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

djkest wrote:
jmanner wrote:
I mean, Killamanjaro is pretty much like this. You are required to have a guide and there are all sorts of rules and regulations involved. Have you looked at the typical way people are climing KJ? Some of the places ofter "light" or "super-light" climbs that cost less and have less porters, but they still aren't cheap climbs.
I understand you have ( :roll: ) to have a guide. But why fall into the trap of having someone carry your stuff, make your food, etc. etc. At least act like some one with some self respect and care your own "stuff" and not act like a Victorian prude. Just my opinion.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage