Orizaba and Itza November 1st-December 31st, 2014

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Orizaba and Itza November 1st-December 31st, 2014

Post by kaiman »

I am looking for a couple of experienced climbing partners to (hopefully) summit Orizaba and Itza with this fall/winter. I've been trying to get to Mexico for the past couple of years but weddings, divorces, births, etc. have been throwing wrenches in all my late season plans so I am starting to look for partners earlier this year. I would love to chat with folks and set some dates so we can begin working on logistics, buying plane tickets, etc.

After last season's disaster in the Labyrinth where a climber fell and died after a slip on hard snow/ice in January, I would like to go earlier in the season (November or December) to help ensure better snow conditions. I was planning on doing it solo if I can't find anyone to climb with but it would be nice to have some company, particularly anyone who speaks better Spanish then I do!

This will be my first climb above 14,000 feet but I have lots of mountaineering experience including completing all the Colorado 14ers, most of the Centennials, half the California 14ers, and 350+ 13ers and 12ers in Colorado and around the western US including glacier routes on the Three Sisters, two climbs of Mount Hood (by different routes) and Mount Shasta's Hotlum/Bolam Ridge.

I am planning on flying into Mexico City and busing it from there to Puebla to acclimate on La Malinche before moving on to Orizaba and Itza for a total trip length of 9-11 days or so. If anyone is interested in doing all or any portion of this trip with me, please PM me or let me know here in the forum.

Thanks,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Orizaba and Itza November 1st-December 31st, 2014

Post by Monster5 »

We had it pretty icy in late Nov. I was under the impression that the snow conditions in Feb/March were ideal for an easier soft snow cruise down.

Best of luck
kaiman wrote: After last season's disaster in the Labyrinth where a climber fell and died after a slip on hard snow/ice in January, I would like to go earlier in the season (November or December) to help ensure better snow conditions.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

Monster5 wrote:We had it pretty icy in late Nov. I was under the impression that the snow conditions in Feb/March were ideal for an easier soft snow cruise down.

Best of luck
kaiman wrote: After last season's disaster in the Labyrinth where a climber fell and died after a slip on hard snow/ice in January, I would like to go earlier in the season (November or December) to help ensure better snow conditions.
Pretty icy in spots in the Labyrinth in early March, as well. But I don't think anyone from our group had major problems with it.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We had it pretty icy in late Nov. I was under the impression that the snow conditions in Feb/March were ideal for an easier soft snow cruise down.
It actually usually the opposite. Typically, November has the best snow conditions (but slightly less stable weather than December) and then things get drier and icier as the season progresses.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Ive been there twice both times in early March with great weather and conditions both times.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Ah. Sounds like we had an odd year. Best of luck with partners, OP
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I'll probably be doing Ixta and Orizaba with my two brothers in mid-late January. Fortunately, my oldest brother speaks fluent Spanish.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
sjellison2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sjellison2 »

I've been planning to do Pico in a long weekend in November with a friend. Some other trips before then have my attention at the moment, so I'm not fully committed, but maybe we can get out a ski some corn and talk about it more…

Sean
esagas
14ers: 46  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esagas »

Just sent a PM.
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

I sent a PM with some details about the Labyrinth but to summarize, I would say if you are comfortable with some basic snow/ice climbing and routefinding in class 3 terrain it is not a huge deal. I would think the consistent weather of the dry season would be more important than better snow conditions, which are probably a crapshoot anyway. Also if you have 9+ days I would do La Malinche, then Izta, then Orizaba so you work your way up the acclimatization ladder.