Presidente Figueiredo

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Presidente Figueiredo

Post by Fisching »

I probably wouldn't even post anything on this except for the fact that the World Cup is about to begin and I'm guessing there are a few members of the 14ers.com community who will be in Brazil for some games. If anyone happens to be going to Manaus to watch the US play there (or some other nation), this quick note is for you. If you get the tourist info spiel at the airport desk, it's likely they'll mention Presidente Figueiredo, about an hour north of Manaus, as a spot to visit since they have geopark called "Waterfalls of the Amazonas" where there are over 200 waterfalls. Sounded cool to me; I figured it'd be an opportunity to do a little hiking, bouldering, and swimming in the waterfall pools, and sightseeing of scantily clad Brazilian women.

Forget about the first two ideas.
The last one can be hit or miss, depending on the day. (We missed)
And don't go without a car.

There are large distances between all the waterfalls with no trails connecting them. The hiking will consist of walking on a 70MPH highway. Oh, and some of the "park's" waterfalls are on private property and the owner does not have to grant access... Still not sure how they call it a "park" when it's merely an unorganized conglomeration. There's only one waterfall I'd consider accessible without a car, and that's directly in the city; I believe there are some decent waterfalls worth visiting outside of the incorporated part of the city, at least from what I saw in pictures and heard from others, but there's no logical way to reach them without a vehicle.

Anyways, consider yourself warned. I came away from the day trip very disappointed.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."