14ers.com member attempting K2

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: 14ers.com member attempting K2

Post by MtnHub »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:All my best to you Alan, you are such an inspiration to us all....

Not only are you an amazing person, but also an amazing mountaineer - who was able to turn his passion for the mountains into fundraising opportunities and to honor his beautiful mother (Ida) who passed away in 2009.

Been following your training on FB and on your web page. You just get faster and more skilled the older you get Alan...you are ready!

Will look forward to following your progress and watching your blip as it progresses up K2!

Safe travels Alan and "Climb on!"
- Valerie
+1!

God bless, Alan! Climb on but climb safe!
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Thanks all. Thanks Valerie for your kind words.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Wishing safety and success to you and the team, Alan!
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Haven't seen an 'Arnette' presentation yet, but will look forward to this one. Carpe diem!
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Wow, that's probably as big as it gets. Safe travels!
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Best wishes to you and all the climbers that will enter The Throne Room of the Mountain Gods this year. I wish that I could have tagged along to K2 basecamp, the Baltoro is a place that I have wanted to see for a long time. My Mother passed away in December of 2009 with Dementia which is similar to Alzheimer's as you know. I know all too well the heartbreak of having her ask me " who are you ?"so thanks for having a secondary purpose for your trip. Go get it :!: :!:
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

FYI: Alan's schedule for K2 - from his web page: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/07 ... -schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-----
We leave on Tuesday, July 22 2014. This is the ideal schedule assuming no weather or health delays

July 22: ABC
July 23: Camp 1
July 24: Camp 2
July 25: Camp 3
July 26: Camp 4 – leave for summit anywhere for 10PM to 2AM depending on many factors (winds, other teams, ropes, etc)
July 27: Summit hopefully between 5am – 10am again depending on many factors. Return to Camp 2
July 28: return to Base Camp
-----

K2 is 11 hr ahead of MT. I think....
Last edited by IHikeLikeAGirl on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 56 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

Just when any of us thought we had an adventure ahead of us...wow...be smart out there and tame the savage mountain...or be aware enough to know if she will let you pass or not. Safe travels this week!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
Alpineair
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Alpineair »

Alan reportedly in the bottleneck, though not verified.
Sounds like an extraordinary year on K2.
Wishing the whole team the best!

http://madisonmountaineering.com/dispatches/k2-14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adverse conditions may exist-CDOT
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

GO ALAN GO!! Were pulling for you man!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Anxiously waiting on News! Go Alan!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Looks like only 400' to go according to his SPOT!

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/06/23/alan-k2/
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina