Alan Arnette summits K2

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Alan Arnette summits K2

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Congratulations Alan! I made my donation, such a great cause. Lost my fabulous mother to that terrible disease as well....

And thank you for your posts to your blog. Great reading from day to day, can't imagine how you pushed past your ailments and fears to get to the summit. So inspiring!

#18 and the oldest American! Woo hoo!
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Completely amazed by your incredible accomplishment, Alan!
jmanner wrote:Think he will write a T.R.? I hope so. [-o<
Yes I believe so!
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

USAKeller wrote:Completely amazed by your incredible accomplishment, Alan!
Yes I believe so!
Hopefully quicker than your Denali one. :wink:
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

jmanner wrote:
Yes I believe so!
Hopefully quicker than your Denali one. :wink:
Haha John! I was hoping nobody recalled the time it took to post. :wink: (it honestly took me longer to compile than to actually climb the peak!)

I'm already anticipating a great TR from Alan.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Yes I believe so!

For sure. At least on his blog. I'm sure we can look forward to a slide show or two along the front range too.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Awesome work, Alan, and I can't wait to see the trip report! You picked a good cause to climb for, too… I've lost one grandparent to alzheimer's, and my better half has a grandparent afflicted with that disease currently.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I can only echo other comments - Congrats on a super achievement for a most worthy cause. As I mentioned to you when we met at the start of the Dragon's Tail Couloir, I lost my father to that terrible disease just a few years ago. Thanks again for pushing Alzheimer's research to the forefront. You have my appreciation and my respect.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

A magnificent mountaineering achievement, and for an eminently worthy cause! Congratulations, Alan! Savor the sweet afterglow of success on one of the world's most difficult mountains! =D> =D> =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius