Lima to Cusco

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Lima to Cusco

Post by Scott P »

Flying is most efficient and isn't that expensive (getting a ticket round trip to Cuzco from North America is usually about the same price as a round trip ticket just to Lima).

Taking the bus may save a few dollars, but it's a punishing 22 hour ride. Get a tourist bus if you can.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jenkscolin
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jenkscolin »

The bus ride is very long and may only save you a bit of money. I would always fly from Lima to Cusco and vice versa. Its about a 22 hour bus ride compared to an hour and a half flight. Although if you have a couple days to spare I would recommend taking the bus from Lima to Arequipa, spending some time in Arequipa and then continuing to Cusco. Arequipa is a gorgeous city with much to offer and breaks up the bus ride into two 10-12 hour rides.
The smaller we come to feel ourselves compared with the mountain, the nearer we come to participating in its greatness - Arne Naess
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Take standard precautions to avoid theft on buses in Peru. (Example: small padlocks on luggage.)
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

My experience (although it dates from 10+ years ago) was that domestic flights in Peru and other SA countries were not that expensive. Crossing an international border in mid air apparently adds significant cost. We took a lot of buses, but for something that long it's just way easier to fly - and well worth it.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
BobbyPeru
14ers: 54 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (1)

Post by BobbyPeru »

Go to Lan Airlines website. Choose Peru as your home country. It will be in Spainish but you can book tickets for as low as 49$ each way between LIM-CUZ for the month of September. I've done this a few times before with no problems.
MountainSlayer
14ers: 40 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainSlayer »

However you get there, it will be worth it. Cuzco is such a cool and special place. Please have a Cusquena Dark for me (delicious), and pour some out for Pachamama.
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

Fly TACA airlines affordable tickets and quick flight. FYI if you have not booked lodging in Cusco I recommend this: http://www.ninoshotel.com/html-eng/acco ... datie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We stayed there in 2009 wonderful place wonderful people.

Jodi
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

the hostel/hotel is run by a dutch woman and her family. Very safe and very clean. HIghly recommended. I think we paid $45.00 per night. The woman and her husband have an interesting story on what brought them to Cuzco. She is there for the street children.
shredthegnar10
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shredthegnar10 »

SoCool wrote:Take standard precautions to avoid theft on buses in Peru. (Example: small padlocks on luggage.)
+1
Also if you are going to go by bus (whether it be to Cusco, Arequipa, or anywhere), try to avoid the "budget" bus companies (for the same reason). Cruz Del Sur is the most expensive but they have a good reputation, and Oltursa isn't bad either. Moviltours is supposed to be good as well but I don't have any personal experience to verify that :)
Most things worth doing are difficult, dangerous, expensive, or all three.