Torres del Paine: Oggioni Pass route

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Torres del Paine: Oggioni Pass route

Post by AlexeyD »

Headed down to Chilean Patagonia in December for a honeymoon trip. We were wondering if anyone done this variation on the Paine circuit? It sounds fantastic, but I'd like to get a bit more info (like, a map :)). Thanks in advance!
MtnChick
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Torres del Paine: Oggioni Pass route

Post by MtnChick »

You are in for a treat!! I did the full circuit in 2013, via the standard route. Happy to be of service if I can. I bought a couple maps/books ahead of time that came in handy. Feel free to PM me.

~Mandy Miller
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

We didn'ty do the Oggioni Pass (honestly, never heard of it then), but did the W, plus a couple days on some less known trails as ways to make it longer. Really an awsome place (with challenging weather also). Make sure you bring waterproof sacks to keep things like your spare clothes and camera dry and get a waterproof stuff sack for your sleeping bag.

Will you cross the border to see Chalten also? The Fitz Roy area and Perito Merino would definitely be worth the trip if time permits.
Grover
14ers: 58  10  3 
13ers: 143 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Grover »

I too can offer advice on Torres del Paine National Park. I have been to TdPNP on two separate occasions- each time I flew into Punta Arenas and rented a car. I could type for the next hour on what to do, how to do it, and what to see. If you need any more information, just send me a PM. Thanks.
-Grover
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Thank you all for the advice! We had an amazing time. We ended up doing the regular O circuit plus Paine Grande-administration leg (aka the "Q"), which was a good thing as O. pass looked very snow (at minimum would have required an axe, possibly crampons), and the route down the other side to connect to the Dickson refugio looked like a horrendous shwack. We were lucky to have very good weather, met many interesting people on the way, and of course saw some of the most stunning scenery on Earth. It's true...everyone who can should really try to visit Patagonia at least once in their life...you won't regret it!