Pico de Orizaba

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Pico de Orizaba

Post by hunterwf »

I just returned from Orizaba yesterday after a successful summit on Feb 19th. I am not going to write another report since there is plenty of info out there already. I would be happy to answer any specific questions that anyone has though. Feel free to PM or ask in the thread.

Will
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Pico de Orizaba

Post by cbrobin »

Congratulations! I sumitted in December. Great hike.
More Colorado than the Natives.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Good job, Will! What acclimatization schedule did you end up using?
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

I hiked up to about 15,500 both Tuesday and Wednesday. I summited Thursday with no altitude issues. If I had to do it again I would only hike up one day. I didn't know I wouldnt have any altitude issues though so I will change that next time when I go higher.

Will
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by akoller »

When I was there I found it interesting that the norm was to only make one acclimatization hike to 15-16k, then summit. It seems not very conservative and yet it was working for people. :-k
johnterryscott
Trip Reports (0)

Pico de Orizaba

Post by johnterryscott »

Although I have used tons of information off this board, just getting around to posting. Lots of trip reports on Orizaba, but summited on Feb. 19th - long day - but a great week. Super cold on top but otherwise a nice day. Well worth the week - and as many others have stated - stay with the Cancholas family for your trip. Happy to answer any questions.
Attachments
Orizaba02.JPG
Orizaba02.JPG (47.1 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Orizaba01.JPG
Orizaba01.JPG (179.88 KiB) Viewed 2146 times