Mummified Bodies found on Orizaba.

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Mummified Bodies found on Orizaba.

Post by Furthermore »

http://news.yahoo.com/effort-set-recove ... 25527.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://news.yahoo.com/two-mummified-bod ... 05320.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should be an interesting story on what happened.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mummified Bodies found on Orizaba.

Post by susanjoypaul »

Pretty crazy, with all the traffic that peak gets, that they just *now* found those bodies! When I was researching Orizaba years back (for a climb), I remember reading stories about deaths on the peak, but it's gotten so popular lately that you tend to forget about the dangers. Thanks for posting this.

-Susan
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Pretty crazy, with all the traffic that peak gets, that they just *now* found those bodies!
I assume that they were buried under snow and ice until now.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

It sounds like they were found not far from the standard Jamapa Glacier route on the north side of the mountain. The glacier has been receding and must have just now exposed these bodies that are believed to have been buried in an avalanche.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I'm still curious as to how someone falls 100' down the Jamapa :-k
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Steve Climber wrote:I'm still curious as to how someone falls 100' down the Jamapa :-k
According to the second article, they believe it was an avalanche that occurred 55 years ago.
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Susan, Sorry I was referring to an article yesterday on it that said the first body was discovered by a climber who fell and slid down the glacier and self-arrested...he stopped near it and that is how it was first spotted.

On a related note, I also read something about 1-2 bodies being found in the Mt. Cook area of NZ. Same story; receding glacier coughed them up. Reports of 60+ missing in that area over the years. I'm guessing we're just getting started with the bodies popping up around the world as the ice/snow shrinks.

Macabre reminder of global warming.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Steve Climber wrote:I'm still curious as to how someone falls 100' down the Jamapa :-k
I am curious under what conditions Orizaba does avalanche? The angle of the upper glacier gets in the 40ties, but I wonder when they get enough snow for it to slide. From our experience (and seems like everyone else's around here) it was pretty icy. I wish the snow there was soft enough to ski...
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Steve Climber wrote:Susan, Sorry I was referring to an article yesterday on it that said the first body was discovered by a climber who fell and slid down the glacier and self-arrested...he stopped near it and that is how it was first spotted.

On a related note, I also read something about 1-2 bodies being found in the Mt. Cook area of NZ. Same story; receding glacier coughed them up. Reports of 60+ missing in that area over the years. I'm guessing we're just getting started with the bodies popping up around the world as the ice/snow shrinks.

Macabre reminder of global warming.
Got it... ...I hadn't read that. Well, I guess that's the (one) upside to global warming: Some people will finally get some closure as their missing friends / family members are discovered.
nkan02 wrote: I am curious under what conditions Orizaba does avalanche? The angle of the upper glacier gets in the 40ties, but I wonder when they get enough snow for it to slide. From our experience (and seems like everyone else's around here) it was pretty icy. I wish the snow there was soft enough to ski...
I believe it's been skied by a few folks on here. One young lady in particular.

-Susan
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

My understanding is that conditions were very different back when that accident would have taken place. It wasn't that long ago that teams roped up due to real crevasse danger and the Jamapa covered the Labyrinth, a section of the route that didn't even exist until recently. Avalanches were probably a bit more conceivable in the 60s, especially if the team was mounting its attempt outside of the standard climbing season.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

SurfNTurf wrote:My understanding is that conditions were very different back when that accident would have taken place. It wasn't that long ago that teams roped up due to real crevasse danger and the Jamapa covered the Labyrinth, a section of the route that didn't even exist until recently. Avalanches were probably a bit more conceivable in the 60s, especially if the team was mounting their attempt outside of the standard climbing season.
Good point. When we were at the Canchola's place, I recall seeing a picture on the wall (circa 2006?) that clearly showed crevasse(s) running along the upper Jamapa, and snow/ice being continuous MUCH further down toward the Labyrinth. I also read somewhere that some are predicting the Jamapa to be all-but-gone by 2020. I'd believe it based on the difference between that picture and what we saw last Feb.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

My understanding is that conditions were very different back when that accident would have taken place. It wasn't that long ago that teams roped up due to real crevasse danger and the Jamapa covered the Labyrinth, a section of the route that didn't even exist until recently. Avalanches were probably a bit more conceivable in the 60s, especially if the team was mounting their attempt outside of the standard climbing season.
I climbed Popo in 1992 and even though it is lower, there were still big crevasses on the mountain (but not on the La Cruces route). The crevasses were big enough that they could be seen from the cities below. I didn't climb Orizaba, but even then it was said that there were some fair sized crevasses, though they were usually visible and avoidable in the dry season.

Here's a 1992 photo (sorry, I had a cheap camera) of Popo:

Although it's the eruptions that took most of the ice off Popo, it's still amazing how much has melted in Mexico.

This is a photo I took of Izta from the slopes of Popo:

This is the south facing side, where there were fewer glaciers. Now days, south side of the mountain is usually completely bare unless there is a fresh snowstorm.

An old guidebook I have, which was based on a 1972 climb says that the snow on Orizaba starts at Piedra Grande.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.